CPC budget headset mics

Lamplighter

Hello,

Ive just purchased a few of the the £5 mics from Cpc, and am in the process of adapting them to headset mics for our next show, however I am having trouble finding headshrink that will fit over the mic head and yet still shrink down enough.

Any recomendations? in skin tone would be good as well, but that might be asking to much

Thanks, Jon

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Guys,

Just a quick "real world" update... I spent every night last week on the sound desk for a small show at Chorley Little Theatre in er... Chorley!

For the show we have eight Sennhieser EW100 G2 series kits and this year I decided to be a little brave and ditch the ME2's and go with eight of the Stageline Headsets (budgets wont stretch any further). The main reason for the switch is the ME2's have struggled in the past to pick up the little voices provided by the little people.

I used the Stageline HSE-150 (MP33818) headset with a standard 3.5mm jack fitted and with regards to audio quality I was impressed! Feedback rejection was good, mainly due to the high gain provided with a mic so close to the audio source (mouth). After the first full tech rehersal I took the decision to shorten the boom (slide it back on its guides) and secure it with a little tape (on the actual headset - not the actor) so the mic was positioned slightly forwards of the adults side-burns and on the kids it landed about 1cm away from the corner of the mouth.

After 5 shows and 3 rehearsals of the headsets being switched around between the 76-strong cast of anything from 8yr old cubs/brownies thru to ageing leaders all have survived, none of the jacks have been pulled out and the rest of the production team were very happy! We also used some of the "Pro-Signal" flesh coloured lav's to fill in where headgear or hairstyles would not permit the use of the Stageline headsets - again these performed beyond their price tag and worked a treat with the Sennheiser gear.

p.s. Note to mods - I have tried to keep this as feedback and not an advert!

I am having trouble finding headshrink that will fit over the mic head and yet still shrink down enough.

Thanks, Jon

Jon

I use various sizes from 1.6mm for insulating the cable screens, to 6.5mm to cover the mic and attach it to the boom. It works well if you position the capsule and then heatshrink the cable to the boom then bind the capsule to the boom with thin insulation tape. Spray the required colour then use clear 6.5 mm heatshrink to firm up the capsule to boom connection. I source my heat shrink from RS components, but note that CPC have a fair selection. If you find that 6.4 mm is too small try 9.5 with a 3 or 4 to 1 shrink ratio but watch that the glue does not seal the mic.

Brian

• 4 months later...

Hello Chris,

I used the Stageline HSE-150 (MP33818) headset with a standard 3.5mm jack fitted and with regards to audio quality I was impressed! Feedback rejection was good, mainly due to the high gain provided with a mic so close to the audio source (mouth).

Do you by any chance remember the correct wiring for the 3.5mm plug fitted to the HSE-150? I was thinking about trying this out for myself.

Thanks,

Simon

Hello Chris,

Do you by any chance remember the correct wiring for the 3.5mm plug fitted to the HSE-150?

Not wanting to jump in on Chris' reply, but here goes anyway :)

The EW's only use 2 wires for the mic, (ie screen and signal) so unless the mics have 2 wires & screen the replacement should be simple. (I have one of these headset mics to try out and I dropped a mini-jack on it a few weeks back, and don't recall it being 2w/scrn).

If it IS 2w/scrn, then many such mics will be very basic and non-polarity conscious, so screen to the case of the plug, with one wire, and the other wire to the tip.

I've just been looking at the 2008 copy of the CPC Catalogue which came today and I see that they have added a new range of headset microphones with the PULSE brand name. They are available with a various range of plugs fitted including the lockable 3.5mm. Unfortunately they are not in stock yet but this is the link to what they have available.

David

The "PULSE" brand is new to the market this year... the products are all new to our range and initially will only be available thru CPC.
Chris, hi.

How come in the listing there is no price shown, but displaying the items individually you DO get a price...?

Assuming they dont get held up in customs etc they will land with us around 7th September.
And that they don't have the wrong sort of paint on 'em... :P ;) :** laughs out loud **: :D :D

(Sorry - couldn't resist)

Archived