CPC budget headset mics

Lamplighter

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
Does anyone know if the £5 CPC mics (product code MP33750) will work with the JTS belt packs?

The CM-201s perform excellently for their £30 price tag, but CPC are out of stock until the end of the month, so I've ordered some of the MP33752 cheapies to see if they'll be a longer term cheapo solution. But just a shame that they need to be reterminated for the JTS packs. I'm sure other packs must use 4 pin XLRs, so how about getting a 4-pin version?

So, have used the £5 CPC lapel mics next to the CM-201s for a few weeks, and we find them an entirely suitable replacement. The only thing we're waiting to see about is whether the cable gives out more quickly. But, given our talents' ability to abuse cables, we can take cable failure as a given, and we're now just only pleased that a replacement is only £5.

Sound quality - no complaints at all.

Resilience - only time will tell.

Pop resistance - as with most lav mics, highly susceptible, but no worse than any other. The supplied pop-shield, if used, does as good a job as can be expected.

Clip - nasty plastic thing, and doesn't grip the cable firmly. But I glue my lavs' cables in the clips anyway, and a moot point for those who head mount.

But, I'm resigned to having a pile of redundant 3-pin mini XLRs as I have to reterminate to the exisiting 4-pin mini XLRs. Such a shame there isn't a 4-pin option here. Or, alternatively, an unterminated product for an even lower price.

But, another thumbs up for the MP33750.

• 1 month later...

I'm looking to buy a couple of the CPC headband mics to try out with Sennheiser EW100's in a forthcoming production and have read a lot of good reports on Blue Room about them. I actually heard them in use at a recent production I was working at and I was pleasantly surprised.

I've had a look on the CPC site at the IMG Stageline headbands (now superceded by Pulse, although I've found Stageline's on another site... however are the Pulse's just rebranded Stageline's?) and I'm unsure whether to get the MIC-2000LJ (MP33904), or the MIC-3000LJ (MP33908). I'm looking for some advice from any users.

Are the MIC-2000LJ's ok? The ear-hooks don't look as stable as the 3000LJ's and perhaps would move around more... possibly fall off... and the boom isn't adjustable. The flip-side of that is that the MIC-3000LJ's look easier to break with all the the extra gubbins that the adjustable boom brings.

Is the pick-up ok on the 2000's? - I suppose it depends on head size, or am I better going for the 3000's that are adjustable. To be honest, I'm guessing there's probably not much between them?

What's everyone's preference?

As I say, I'm going to get a couple to trial and it will literally be a couple... maybe I could get one of each?

I know! So many questions, but I know the good folks of the Blue Room community will come up trumps!

Thanks!

All the PULSE mics share the same capsule - as a result you are able to pick n mix between styles and get the same audio results. They are sourced by us and while look similar to the Stageline units they are slightly different. We also now have them available with removable cables (Ynot and Paulears have been testing these) so you can switch between different beltpacks, headset styles or should a cable be snagged and fail you can replace the cables at a minimal price.

All the PULSE mics share the same capsule - as a result you are able to pick n mix between styles and get the same audio results. They are sourced by us and while look similar to the Stageline units they are slightly different. We also now have them available with removable cables (Ynot and Paulears have been testing these) so you can switch between different beltpacks, headset styles or should a cable be snagged and fail you can replace the cables at a minimal price.

Excellent! Cheers Chris. What would you recommend out of the 2000's and 3000's? They would just be used once a year for panto work, so lots of dancing, running about etc. As I said in my previous post, the 3000's ear hooks look more secure than the 2000's (although I appreciate it's hard to tell from a photograph) but I don't know if the adjustable boom is necessary and has the potential to break. Do the 2000's pretty much fit most heads with decent pickup?

• 3 months later...

Horror! Just went to order some more MP33753 £5 bargain lav mics from CPC, and they're showing as no longer being manufactured.

The beige MP33752 or the black MP33751 with 3.5mm jack are still showing as available, and I can always just replace the 3.5mm jack with an XLR. If Chris is around, can he comment as to whether the rest of this range is about to disappear too?

All but the Black version with XLR will continue in the budget range. We do have the upgraded version MP34261 in stock complete with 3P mini XLR.

Shame, but at least I know they're still continuing. I'm quite happy to buy the cheapies at 25% the price, and it's not the end of the world to reterminate (I need them with 4 pin XLRs anyway). Was just initially worried that the whole line was disappearing. Thanks for the update.

• 4 months later...

Thinking of buying some of these MP33870's (Link: http://cpc.farnell.com/_/hm-10/oem-headset...870?Ntt=MP33521 ) for a show that requires a few quick swaps. 

Just wondered if anyones used these in anger for anything, or even just tested them out and what do you think of them?

Also, they aren't the most subtle things in the world, so I was thinking that some fleshy spray paint and perhaps some clear heatshrink over the top might help that. Does anyone have any other brilliant ideas, or perhaps these are available in beige and I've just not looked hard enough!

Andy

That appears to be the same component as the MP33521 that started this whole thread, and also this one!

They're designed for people with very large heads. Chop them back a bit, bend the wire over some scaff pole, spray (car paint works well - I used "ford cortina beige") adn add some clear heatshrink.

Archived