"A bucket of light..."

Mr.TG

Afternoon all,

The director of this year's panto wants to use a gag centred around the comedy character 'storing light' in a bucket for use in dark times, with the payoff coming after a short UV scene. The idea is, during blackout, the actor enters with the bucket with a visible light source emanating from the rim, and 'pours' the light back into the scene. We've tried a couple of ideas (including gaffering 3 Mag-lites into the bucket), but to no avail.

Any ideas?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We've tried a couple of ideas (including gaffering 3 Mag-lites into the bucket), but to no avail.

Any ideas?

A small 12V 3.3Ah sealed lead-acid battery will run a 12V 150W halogen capsule lamp for about 10 minutes.

We've tried a couple of ideas (including gaffering 3 Mag-lites into the bucket), but to no avail.

Any ideas?

A small 12V 3.3Ah sealed lead-acid battery will run a 12V 150W halogen capsule lamp for about 10 minutes.

Some plastic tube and a light source something like this : "LED Neon Flex

At last, an alternative to neon that solves all of the problems associated with traditional glass neon! " from www.batmink.co.uk

it sounds like you need some sort of smoke to light up to pour out of the bucket. if you tip a bucket with just a lamp in it will just look like a bucket with a lamp in!

dry ice would look good as the light would light up the thick smoke and when its tipped it will pour out! just a problem with water and electric.... I'm sure something along these lines would work!

IL keep thinkin!

Pete :** laughs out loud **:

How about a similar gag to the 'Oliver' cauldron of steaming gruel in another thread?

False base in the bucket to conceal the battery, powering 3 or 4 birdie MR16 bubbles which are fixed into that false base with gels, maybe. Choose a bucket with a tightish fitting lid, pump some smoke into the bucket off-stage (dry ice fog on it's own won't last long enough) then seal it. Talent goes on stage, opens the bucket and pours out the uplit smoke - not as good as dry ice, but could just work...

If the talent's on stage a long time the smoke will dissipate, but maybe have him say "I'll fetch the bucket o' light', nip into the wings and return....

TD

Two thoughts.

Howzabout a glowing bucket, made of perspex or lexan or something similar?

Secondly, the "pour" - What I'd like to see would be the actor tips the bucket, and the light appears to "flow" from underneath the bucket out to the edges of the stage, as the bucket dims out. Sounds like a bunch of low powered lights behind something diffuse on a sequence, or maybe a mover if you can keep the air clear so it doesnt look like a typical mover.

Interesting challenge.

Fan and a large multi-layer silk like a flamelight but kept low amd flat. A bit like a flying foil parachute. Coming out of the bucket and rippling like a flow

Redesign a big flame (silk) light to come out of the bucket when it is tipped

Put real dry ice in the bucket and real hot water in a separate container in the bucket. Tipping the bucket tips the water into the CO2. light the flowing CO2.

Use a bucket with a Maplin big (5 cell) mister and puor the mist out and light it

Put a mini-fogger in the bucket and its battery and put a LOt of metal mesh in there fresh from the deep freeze so that the smoke goes through the frozen mesh and cools to low smoke ( bucket full of steel wool )

Everything seems to depend on the Bucket gag being picked straight up by the main stage lighte and growing outwards from that place very quickly

I suppose for the ultimate effect you could have a bucket and do all the light trickery on the outer inch of it, and on the inside have a flask of (liquid nitrogen) it pours like water splashes like water and lays low like dry ice.

BUT I don't think H&S would like it.

Having worked with liquid nitrogen what's the big problem? It boils away so fast it cannot do much harm. Speak to Air Products they do a mobile dewar for photolabs prob about 75litres and a big one at about 200litres. You will use LOTS more than you thing esp as children (of all ages ) freeze anything they can find (apples and india rubbers break like glass!!!

Having worked with liquid nitrogen what's the big problem? .

(snip)

(apples and india rubbers break like glass!!!

I would guess that fingers would do the same.....

In fact there's a trick you can do that involves liquid nitrogen, a surgical glove, a hot-dog sausage and a hammer....

But seriously - it's nasty stuff in certain situations - in particular in confined spaces.

What about this?

if you are using UV lights any way why not use UV paint?

it should glow just as good or try glow in the dark paint and pour in to a receptacle and then you should be able to use it again and again.

What do you think. Good or what (** laughs out loud **). :mods: :) :P

and with the liquid nitrogen when I was at school the science teacher said that it could not freeze your hand but it could most other things is this true? :angry: :P

I know a chemist who said it was a standard gag when finished with Liquid nitrogen was to throw it accross the floor at some on. They'd brick it but (only if you judged it right I assume) it would evapourate well before it got near them.

What about this?

if you are using UV lights any way why not use UV paint?

it should glow just as good or try glow in the dark paint and pour in to a receptacle and then you should be able to use it again and again.

What do you think. Good or what (** laughs out loud **). :stagecrew: :P :** laughs out loud **:

UV pigment dissolved in someat, guessing water will be too thin, wallpaper paste springs to mind something with some gloop. Flints carry UV dry pigment.

UV source internal to bucket 4 0r 6" UV tube or some UV LEDs, need the UV to very focused to the gloop.

Or GID pigment freshly charged off blacklight source if audience eyes are pre accustomed to dark scene beforehand.

Archived