Tool for 3.5mm Jack Sockets

p.k.roberts

I've been looking for a tool to tighten 3.5mm jack socket securing rings (as used, for example on Sennheiser radio mic packs). I've tried a variety of two-prong security bits, none of which seem to fit and Google has let me down, so before I get the Dremel out and start hacking away at one of my screwdrivers, does anyone know if there is a ready made tool available to do this?

1 hour ago, p.k.roberts said:

I've been looking for a tool to tighten 3.5mm jack socket securing rings (as used, for example on Sennheiser radio mic packs). I've tried a variety of two-prong security bits, none of which seem to fit and Google has let me down, so before I get the Dremel out and start hacking away at one of my screwdrivers, does anyone know if there is a ready made tool available to do this?

The term is ring driver but google isn't very helpful.

14 hours ago, GaryNattrass said:

Sennheiser make one but it is hugely expensive so when I was at Sky we made our own till we go the Shure digital radio mics that are far better and we use them at the BBC in Salford now too.

Did it look a bit like a tube socket in miniature? Decades ago I had a set as part of a watchmaker's kit that sound a bit like what the OP is after. Heaven knows where to find them now.

1 hour ago, kerry davies said:

Decades ago I had a set as part of a watchmaker's kit. 

Which reminds me; for decades I used a little CK set of watchmaker's screwdrivers (about 3" long, 5 sizes from <1mm to about 2mm, in a little yellow plastic wallet), but it vanished a few months ago. Having given up on attempts to find it, I'm now having no luck trying to source a replacement.

I think I have lost it now, but my Dad had a small brass coloured screwdriver with a screw cap. 
Like a set of Russian Dolls, it contained a series of smaller screwdrivers (not bits) each of which fitted inside one another and also fitted onto the driver end of the next side up.

In theory you could extend using all of them but in reality you’d use a couple to make the driver manageable.

They probably date from the fifties and I am sure that they are “somewhere” at home

2 hours ago, kerry davies said:

There are umpteen varieties at Amazon

Thanks Kerry, but I stopped using Amazon when they stopped being a bookseller. I did try CK, but couldn't find just a set of tiny ones (I don't really need yet another do-everything set of tools). E2A: CK seem to have moved upmarket & the Amazon (& similar) Chinese sets don't look as if they would survive their first encounter with a screw🙁. Guess I'm going to have to keep hunting for the old ones.

Edited by sandall