AKG C747 alternative

Barney

Hi all,

I used to use the AKG C747 condenser microphone when doing events, usually two on a lectern or several across a top table etc. Happy with the performance and never had any issues with them.

I now have a client who is interested in a similar setup, however they only do presentations a few times per year, for internal events, and are looking for a more cost effective solution.

I've been out of the sound game for a while, so can anyone recommend a similar alternative please? I'm aware that there are a couple on eBay etc for around £100 however the user would like new, but doesn't think the £500 price-tag for these is money necessarily well spent (given how often they are used). I'm inclined to agree with them having seen their usage/requirements, as it is basically internal 'office briefings' etc where audio isn't critical but some sort of reinforcement would be nice.

Any tips on equivalent mics would be well appreciated!

Many thanks,
Barney

I am not a humhead at all but when I needed similar I used to dig in the drum mic kit and use AKG P170's which worked adequately for live sound. They seem to be about £75 now on general sale. If your client is more prone to brand recognition they might be the suitable compromise rather than just as effective cheaper brands. 

I know you say they want new...

I've always loved the 747 too, installed a fair few in lecturns and meeting room tables. I got one for myself, specifically for a job I did twice a year to replace my one C451 which died. Somehow I never  got round to using it on anything other job. Used it for 3 years (6 one hour services) and the venue changed so my services no longer required.

I have some AT8033's for fairly similar sort of conference/board meetings etc work and again not much used, maybe 20 jobs. Never had a battery in them either.

Yes it's a shameless plug but all are in pristine condition and I'm in the process of clearing out due to retirement (if I'm allowed to retire!)

5 hours ago, J Pearce said:

My go-to lectern mic is a DPA4099 but that's not much cheaper. However - I wonder if Thomann's 4099 alike might work well?
If looks aren't important then a SM57 does a good job and is almost unbreakable.

Surprised to see SM57 in this list, I know we see them in American films in school speeches etc along with 58's  but I've always thought of that as artistic license.

2 hours ago, Yorkie said:

For a cheap lectern mic, a JTS GM-5212 or it's tbone cousin are reasonable. Come without clip though. Or used MX412 or MX418 if you can find them

Not tried the JTS. Always found the MX412 to be very directional, Quite often rig and set up then someone would move it  and lose the GBF. and the 418 would lose the rigidity too quickly I preferred the AT's for that reason.

16 minutes ago, bruce said:

From wikipedia: 

Every U.S. president since Lyndon B. Johnson has delivered speeches through an SM57.[1] It became the lectern microphone of the White House Communications Agency in 1965, the year of its introduction, and remains so.[18]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shure_SM57

OK thanks. I've often seen them but never given a thought to their double arrangement, the pop shield has always looked like part of the mic to me.

I've only ever used them in music/band situations and never thought of them on a lectern. I've tried SM58's but never got sensible sensitivity/noise cancelling, I've always tended to find that aspect comparable.

For lectern use I'll always go for electrec first.

Edited by sunray

9 hours ago, sunray said:

Surprised to see SM57 in this list

Try it. It works quite well. The natural HF roll-off combats sibilance, and if someone does grab it and go up close it's fine - unlike a fancier miniature lectern mic. 
Not the prettiest solution, but for simple/cheap/hardwearing it works well.

747s are balanced in the XLR connector which is a couple of metres from the mic. That is why they are more prone to interference from mobile phones. I preferred the Audio Technica 935 on lectern duty but that is no longer manufactured.

10 hours ago, GR1 said:

747s are balanced in the XLR connector which is a couple of metres from the mic. That is why they are more prone to interference from mobile phones. I preferred the Audio Technica 935 on lectern duty but that is no longer manufactured.

There is an incy wincy chance I have a 935 still too which came to me in a rip out, so checked for working but otherwise unused by me.

11 hours ago, Andrew C said:

I loved the 747 for lecterns.  However, unless there's a new model, they HATE mobile phones.  Well, actually, they love them and want to broadcast every handshake with the network to your audience.

I know the problem but I can't say something I've been aware of with the 747. I'd have stopped using them if I thought there was an issue. However in permanent lecterns it was quite normal to reduce the length of the supplied cable to a minimum, quite often down to a foot or so to make it tidier.

The various hanging mics with 5-10m of cable and plug into a remote pre-amp, such as MX202  for example for sure have that issue.