Recommend to me.... a PSU/project box... a "nice" one...

bruce

I am looking for recommendations for a small case for a project. 2 external connections, one is MIDI on the usual 5-pin DIN, and the other could be either a DIN-type connector (different pin layout) or 5 pin XLR. And a 9v DC supply. (about 100mA)

The only purpose of the unit is to combine the midi and DC signals, and send them on over a single 5 core cable. It's just a junction box.

Currently I have the whole thing in a plastic project box, complete with transformer, rectifier etc. it's a bit chunky, and looks "home made". But it works.

I want something a bit neater. A metal box (but not the usual die cast project box). 

I'm thinking about 2 possibilities. Either:

a. A small extruded box, big enough to take 2 DIN/XLR sockets, and a standard DC connector.  Roughly the size of a DI. Pair that up with a wall-wart PSU, and it means I don't have any electrical safety issues; all the 240V is inside the wall-wart.

b. A small box, with built-in 9V PSU, and enough space to add 2x XLR/DIN, with appropriate separation from the mains gubbins.

Any suggestions - ideally something available from CPC/Farnell/RS, although that's not essential. Even a "nice" box with a couple of XLR-size cutouts...

I think Canford used to do something that would have been ideal - looked to be the same sort of case as a tecpro pack, but had an IEC inlet...

Any ideas or suggestions?

[Edit: it's at times like this I wish they still did a paper CPC catalogue....]

[Edit again: the "common bodge" for this is a 3-way cable - no box at all - just have the 5-core cable go into the standard DIN plug, with the 2 DC lines turning back and coming back out, to go to another connector. But not keen on that idea.]

extruded

use that as a search term on cpc and it should give you 1 or 2 options,you can then narrow it down with the dimension  options.Ive used sevral of there hammond boxes and they look  ok,better than my  usual dicast box sprayed black

Farnell sell enclosures by a manufacturer by the name of Box (which makes searching for them difficult!). They’re in a very similar style to the Tecpro enclosure you mentioned, but in a range of sizes and colours: https://uk.farnell.com/c/enclosures-racks-cabinets/enclosures-boxes-cases/metal-enclosures?brand=box-enclosures

8 hours ago, david.elsbury said:

Interesting idea but might be a challenge to obtain the required separation between the mains and non-mains side of the circuit 

That oft quoted subject.

Just  look inside commercial units (including BS & CE marked) to see how they do it.

If all else fails simply fill one side or the other with hot melt glue.

• Funny 1

I like the Hammond enclosures, they are available in many sizes and a few colours.

1455 Series Hammond Aluminium Instrument Enclosures | Maplin Professional Supplies (MPS) | Components, LEDs, Resistors, Switches, Connectors | Free delivery over £25

is one supplier.

Could you use a heatshrink three way adaptor and pull the soldering inside, -just make the Y-lead?