stage floor sound deadening construction.

photonix

I have an upcoming stage to build and would like to use a sound deadening product to deaden to stage, looking for anyone who has particularly done this and what product was used. there's a vast amount of products out there.. but which is the question. The stage will be built using the 4x4ft metal stage frames with the thick drop in plywood sheets, then we will add onto this the insulation layer and screw down 18mm plywood over the top. The top ply will also be carpet tiled. This will make a good solid stage construction. Any recommendations? UK based

What I want to do is deaden the floor impact noise by adding a rubber or like product in-between the layers. I need to remove the hollow sound and any chance of vibration from sub. Probably end up with a rubber based matting at around 10mm

3 hours ago, Brian said:

You realise that by screwing the top surface to the bottom you totally undo any effect that the insulating layer has?

And there was me thinking exactly the same and being totally bemused by the OP.

On the keep it simple tack I always found large Persian rugs as effective as anything else. 

On 4/16/2023 at 7:35 PM, themadhippy said:

Or if you can find it malby(?) as that already has a carpet type material on the back

maltbury ? has that kinda textile trash packing fabric under that removes tonnes. AND its in metric! 

There are 3 ways for a raised deck to be noisy - mostly they are all 3, but each might need a different approach to reduction.

1 - contact noise on the top surface - carpet is your best bet here, or lino etc. - or controlling what footwear your performers wear.

2 - the deck surface vibrating - a stiff deck or a damped deck is required. Good bracing in your framework, dampening the top, or a composite top. Steeldeck does well with a good stiff frame and the board fixed in multiple places. A double thickness top might also assist. Dampening could be carpet/lino on top, or something on the bottom. If you're going for composite to achieve dampening you need to ensure you don't compromise it by transmitting vibrations through the middle portion e.g. by screwing through it.

3 - the space under the deck resonating - absorptive material on the underside of the deck is a massive help with this.

• Upvote 1