Elmo slide projectors ?

Dave m

Two Kodaks and a synchroniser went for £45 the other day on ebay - I think he started at £250. Millenials won't even know what slides are. The other day on the TV, they were in a projection room of a Cinema and looking at the 'old' projectors still sitting there. The presenter said they'd probably have been from the black and white movie days. The Dolby logo kind of revealed they were probably late 90's and they looked modern. They found loads of ads ready to be spliced together in a cupboard and the manager said she didn't know what was on them because they'd been told old film could burst into flames. 25 year old equipment treated like it was antique. Scary. 

I've got a carousel somewhere, and probably even some slides in the loft - for what will be on them, I really doubt that until you find a proper collector, they'll make anything. 

Developing E6 slides is still quite cheap - but this link shows that the one manufacturer of the actual slides doesn't;t make them any longer - so you get back a roll of film - you have to mount them somehow yourself!

I've got a Simda carousel projector which I tried to sell pre Covid without success so a couple of weeks ago I listed it for £9.75 with a tray and 5 spare lamps. No interest .....  I'll offer it to a charity shop and if not it will go to the tip. These are about as popular as domestic gas lights and those who want one will have got one by now.

I wouldn't spend your time trying to sell the Elmo's. Packing them well is a lot of work for a very small/if any return.

Yeah, cheers guys.

Looks like they are not worth the effort.

If I had sold them , I would have done buyer collects or something as the P&P would have been horrific.

I might offer them to a local Art collective?

21 hours ago, Dave m said:

Yeah, cheers guys.

Looks like they are not worth the effort.

If I had sold them , I would have done buyer collects or something as the P&P would have been horrific.

I might offer them to a local Art collective?

'lo, was just going to suggest this. A friend says that he still hires out what 4:3 video cubes and screens he has to artists

I think we still have a 2050 at Central but I'm probably the only one of the vintage who can use/fix it. 

It does get used occasionally as an experimental bit of kit. Ah, the days of mounds of these Carousels on a show taking all day and night to programme because the client wanted a countdown to the Conference starting or just wanted to swap slide order

That and a projectionist in just their pants stuck in a box with a 16mm projector to keep the noise down on a IEEE tour (R.Pilbrow lighting designer)

The good old days??

Ah those good old days 🤣

In Italy about 20 years ago we sat for a visitor presentation, I was with my back to the projector room and heard a clattering for the duration of the short film.

6 rows of 5 projectors running at 20 per second provided a fairly respectable film and chatting to tech was more reliable than the 16mm film it replaced.

Just as an aside to this anyone with important slide archives they haven't looked at for years might like to check them over. There are certain batches from all brands that are badly degrading in the interface between mount and film apparently. Personally if I was the OP I'd keep the best of the batch because in a few years time you can bet your life someone will want one desperately as no one any longer makes slide scanners! (About thirty years ago I found a willing indeed eager recipient for the last Epidiascope in the store! Aldis Epivisor naturally. Only kept out of sentiment naturally!)

Edited by Junior8