Chinese LED lighting - pros and cons

paulears

Aliexpress is the most variable, and often difference are due to pound vs dollar transactions. The seller is working in dollars, and the price you buy at gets modified by a pound to dollar conversion fee. Sometimes you will only see pounds, but that can be aliexpress displaying the converted amount. My accounts are done by freeagent which reconciles my bank tranactions and frequently it has the invoice total entered by me but the eventual debit to the bank account is for a different amount. I tried complaining to the seller when it first happened but they are clueless - they don't know how we actually pay. Aliexpress run escrow for untested sellers so they've not even had the money till you confrim delivery or a date passes. It's actually OK once you get used to it.

• Upvote 1

I realised the first time I looked that everything is done in US$, that was a number of years ago and to be honest I  found it so confusing I gave up. Some time later I found a UK agent (actually based in Belgium I found out later!) which worked well for 2 transactions, by the time post, fees, VAT etc roughly 100% markup but still well under alternative supplies prices.

Next attempt for 12 50W LED PARs failed completely and took a solicitors letter (Via FSB) to recover £200 (of ~£240). Many months later 4 units turned up on a completely different order/reference number and name, boxes marked as 18x3W but instruction sheet 18x1W,  Internally 3 different designs, 2 PSUs marked as 12W others 20&30W, 2 completely different colours of LEDs and I suspect 3W or 1W, 2 without fans.

I've been reluctant ever since but seeing OP I thought I'd give it a whirl.

I've now had notification all items are in UK and confirmation of 17th Jan delivery date.

That's exactly why you must buy in bigger batches - they won't even remember what you had 6 months previously as they're standard parts that suddenly become unavailable, and then they redesign and start again. Things with gobos are a real pain. They don't keep the gobos the same, or put them in the same order - or even the right way around! Things like focus servos often get swapped and work backwards so focus is near far rather than far near. Zooms too. Always a pain.

1 hour ago, paulears said:

That's exactly why you must buy in bigger batches - they won't even remember what you had 6 months previously as they're standard parts that suddenly become unavailable, and then they redesign and start again. Things with gobos are a real pain. They don't keep the gobos the same, or put them in the same order - or even the right way around! Things like focus servos often get swapped and work backwards so focus is near far rather than far near. Zooms too. Always a pain.

From this thread I understand all of that but sending 4 items in one batch I really wouldn't have expected 4 completely different products,  even the enclosure mouldings were different.

So early this morning a package arrived, it looks like each of the 3 purchaces have a delivery label afixed and a 4th similar label on the outer grey bag, looking like 4 lots of postage have been paid.

Tonight I have received an email explaining my parcel is ready for delivery and awaiting payment of: £4.38 VAT, £2.79 duty and £47 handling. Total of £63.17 on a purchase of £8.96. Or a 700% markup

I make that ~50%VAT, ~30% (25% with VAT) duty and 3x £16.33 handling. Thank heavens it's already been delivered without a payment.

• Funny 1

3 hours ago, david.elsbury said:

It sounds like you’re upset you had to pay VAT on your purchase?

Not at all, however I've already paid 19% and the email shows £4.38 on a pre VAT order of £8.96  or close to 50%.

I've made the reply to the effect I've already paid the VAT and sent the order confirmation... I've also ticked the box to make the payment when I collect at the local sorting office... That will be interesting.

• Funny 1

What a total FFFFing ###### up?

I got a reply saying the delivery woud be at the local office by 5pm, after Granddad duties I arrived a little after 5pm not expecting them to  have it.

I was asked for payment before she went to get it but compared their and my paper work first. Theirs showed an underpayment of VAT of £4.38 and duty of £2.79 on a purchase costing £647 (mine is £8.96).

Different name, different address (Cambridge, I'm Maidstone), different order number, different products (Sewing machines, not LED's etc) but my email address.

Why always me?

Oh and my parcel shows as 24hr tracked and due for delivery. 👍

Edited by sunray
  • Funny 1

And it cotinued today.

I received an email reminder my delivery is still at the local PO SO and my payment is outstanding, this time there is full delivery address and order details, however the mobile phone number is only 9 digits.

I did a streetview on google, found the industrial unit and a name, found a phone number on google, explained there is a mix-up. Asked him to ring me back from the phone number on the order after giving him 4 digits.  After confirming more detais  ased for an email address which was the same as on google then forwarded the email to them. They had been chasing the order for several months.

Couple of hours later he phoned to say it was paid and expecting delivery Friday and promised to let me know.

Hopefully🤞

A day or two can make the prices seem random. Your bank might also charge you currency conversion fees. Pretty much though if AliExpress show an order confirmation in your account in pounds this is what comes out of your account if it’s in dollars you wont know till you see the debit. Many people choose to use credit cards or PayPal and their charges often find their way into the pricing at some point. You can even find the customs declarations a bit random too. This is because many of these small businesses use another business to wrap, post and international paperwork. Value, might be what you paid or a real or imaginary cost price value. Vat if it is levied by customs or UPS or FedEx will be based on the sticker value. AliExpress bombard you with updates. Most unimportant but like one I’ve been waiting for, the dreaded customs delay notification. Your package was selected for proper inspection. It will be opened and this is where folk who import counterfeit products lose them. A Gibson branded guitar will result in you receiving a seizure notice. A fender, probably not. Some brands are on a hot list. The customs folk look for key brands. Lesser known products might be unknown and get through. Plug together bricks are fine. Lego branding is not. If they are seized tough. You can appeal if you wish. The problem with customs inspection selection is time for me. Often three weeks as they’re clearly not overstuffed.

Thanks again for the advice. I'm not expecting to make any serious orders as I'm trying to retire and get rid of kit.

I must add to the crazy malarky I've experienced that my purchase ran as smoothly as was possible; placing order on 24th December the original suggested delivery time was well into February, during processing that came down to 20th January and possibly another a bit sooner, it shows as dispatched on 30th Dec and after receiving countles updates, arrived on 11th. Absolutely faultless. Although not used yet the contents look to be exactly what I require and ordered.

I used PayPal as it seemed to be the way the order was being steered but the only additional cost seemed to be tax which totalled under 20%.

The customs declaration shows a total value of US$3.18 on the purchase of £8.96.  Interestingly (and I've only just this moment noticed this) part of that is US$2.79 and outstanding duty on the other shipment is/was £2.79. It was ordered 11th September so I'm not surprised he was trying to chase it.