Comms for hearing impaired

I had forgotten this thread but as it happens I have recently been through this for a follow spot operator for his first run since HA fitting during covid.

Using Bluecom system and several different headphones didn't work for him. As an experiment we got one of these:

https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/psg3237/bluetooth-2-in-1-transmitter-receiver/dp/AV28400?mckv=s_dc|pcrid|605262956593|kword||match||plid||slid||product|AV28400|pgrid|138313685015|ptaid|pla-914882006553|&CMP=KNC-GUK-CPC-SHOPPING-9262013734-138313685015-AV28400&s_kwcid=AL!5616!3!605262956593!!!network}!914882006553!&gclid=Cj0KCQjwk5ibBhDqARIsACzmgLSNpz2LVyQzFB5EFKzfP_g0LAOFvCtrykXPRSqisKexXXzbcmozKkAaAkFUEALw_wcB

It worked but distorted, required attenuation and unexpecdedly, frequency compensation too but still not right.  However picking directly from "HP_AMP" point from volume control via series 3μ3 & 4K7Ω works like a dream, values were chosen completely at random merely as I assumed something should be there.

Made slightly more permanent after the first show by wiring to the front panel 3.5mm jack socket. and of course ubiquitous black gaffa. As its for follow spot where talking back is rare, we provided a comms mic with PTT (2way radio style). By the end of 8 shows he still hadn't got used to untangling himself before climbing down the scaff tower.

Battery life shown as 8 hours we forgot to recharge after a second show and the third was also fine but had clocked up over 9 hours.

Edited by sunray

I didn't see this topic first time round....

Using a headset over a more powerful aid will probably just lead to feedback (hence most aid users wouldn't want to wear headphones). However, as dmxlights says, if the aid has a telecoil fitted and activated, then most headphones will work direct into the telecoil with the added advantage that the aid will only be receiving the headphone signal (as long as there isn't too much electromagnetic background noise to cause interference).

• 3 months later...

Sorry chaps, haven't been on here in a while.

@dmxlights Sir you are a genius! I've just tested it with our hearing aid tester and indeed you are correct (I know you already know you are! 😂)

Never even crossed my mind that would work. 

When our chap with hearing aids is in next I shall get him to give it a go and see how he gets on. 

Blueroom triumphs again!

I did also get Canford to quote for a headset with a 3.5 mm jack output for a neck loop to plug in. As always the guys there were very quick and helpful, but we'd decided not to go down that route for the moment.

Thanks for everyone's input.

I know this is really old now but if anyone does still happen to care, I just thought you may like to know that Canford have, in the past, made a bone conduction headset for theatre comms. I spoke to them about it at some length about 5 years ago, 

8 hours ago, dje said:

....Canford have, in the past, made a bone conduction headset for theatre comms. 

Bone conduction headsets can be a useful tool, allowing audio to be heard whilst allowing the ears to be unobstructed by headphones etc.

Bone conduction systems can be of help for those with hearing loss that's due to problems in the middle ear (usually damage/disease of the ossicles). It does rely on the cochlea working correctly. However, age related and noise induced hearing loss often affects the cochlea. In such cases bone conduction isn't likely to afford any real benefit. 

Edited by Simon Lewis

• 7 months later...
On 11/5/2022 at 3:02 PM, sunray said:

I had forgotten this thread but as it happens I have recently been through this for a follow spot operator for his first run since HA fitting during covid.

Using Bluecom system and several different headphones didn't work for him. As an experiment we got one of these:

https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/psg3237/bluetooth-2-in-1-transmitter-receiver/dp/AV28400?mckv=s_dc|pcrid|605262956593|kword||match||plid||slid||product|AV28400|pgrid|138313685015|ptaid|pla-914882006553|&CMP=KNC-GUK-CPC-SHOPPING-9262013734-138313685015-AV28400&s_kwcid=AL!5616!3!605262956593!!!network}!914882006553!&gclid=Cj0KCQjwk5ibBhDqARIsACzmgLSNpz2LVyQzFB5EFKzfP_g0LAOFvCtrykXPRSqisKexXXzbcmozKkAaAkFUEALw_wcB

It worked but distorted, required attenuation and unexpecdedly, frequency compensation too but still not right.  However picking directly from "HP_AMP" point from volume control via series 3μ3 & 4K7Ω works like a dream, values were chosen completely at random merely as I assumed something should be there.

Made slightly more permanent after the first show by wiring to the front panel 3.5mm jack socket. and of course ubiquitous black gaffa. As its for follow spot where talking back is rare, we provided a comms mic with PTT (2way radio style). By the end of 8 shows he still hadn't got used to untangling himself before climbing down the scaff tower.

Battery life shown as 8 hours we forgot to recharge after a second show and the third was also fine but had clocked up over 9 hours.

In recent times I've become a HA user and getting ready for panto season I dragged out some kit requiring some modification, while at it I thought I'd have a little play with the above device, unfortunately my HA has no search or pair button and relies on the pairing device to do all the work, which the device can't do. 

Has anyone got any other device to suggest other than a laptop?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2023 at 1:49 AM, sunray said:

In recent times I've become a HA user and getting ready for panto season I dragged out some kit requiring some modification, while at it I thought I'd have a little play with the above device, unfortunately my HA has no search or pair button and relies on the pairing device to do all the work, which the device can't do. 

Has anyone got any other device to suggest other than a laptop?

Most bluetooth HA's enter pairing mode when they're powered up, only for a short space of time though...

9 hours ago, ninjadingle said:

Most bluetooth HA's enter pairing mode when they're powered up, only for a short space of time though...

I don't know much about mine yet but the 2 devices I've paired with so far I was able to do a search and they found the HA which had been on for hours. The instructions I have been able to find basically put the onus on the pairing device to do all of the pairing actions. The device I linked to requires the HA to accept the pairing by an action (button push) and my HA doesn't have a button.

2 hours ago, Malcolm Gordon said:

Perhaps if Ninjadingle had written ‘when first powered up’, it would have underlined the method. With your device in pairing mode try opening the HA door(s) and closing. This works with my Phonak Nova aids.

I did try that at the time but how do you then select what it pairs with?

excerpt from the instructions:

cpc bluetooth transmitter.jpg

Edited by sunray
add instructions

I struggle with hearing loss and tinitus. some age related and some brought on with an infection.

Wearing a headset and trying to listen to a show and block out people talking in the tuck shop behind me is awful.

I dont have BT equipped HAs, but might enquire if I can get an upgrade next assessment.

Having only just become aware of bone conduction headphones, I bought this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08FT7HJW7?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Which magically pairs with my cheap bone conduction headphones.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CD2K7M1R?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I havent really checked battery life out yet, but with a bit more experimentation its a possible solution.

1 hour ago, tonytech said:

I struggle with hearing loss and tinitus. some age related and some brought on with an infection.

Wearing a headset and trying to listen to a show and block out people talking in the tuck shop behind me is awful.

I dont have BT equipped HAs, but might enquire if I can get an upgrade next assessment.

Having only just become aware of bone conduction headphones, I bought this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08FT7HJW7?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Which magically pairs with my cheap bone conduction headphones.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CD2K7M1R?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I havent really checked battery life out yet, but with a bit more experimentation its a possible solution.

Ah now that is something else I'd been considering. I see the adapter says transmitter/receiver and I see a TX/RX switch, I assume it doesn't have simultaneous 2 way abilities?

50 minutes ago, sunray said:

Ah now that is something else I'd been considering. I see the adapter says transmitter/receiver and I see a TX/RX switch, I assume it doesn't have simultaneous 2 way abilities?

No simultaneous Tx/Rx, and I havent tried it with other BT devices nearby, but I was suprised that it connected to my headphones so easily as they dont have a "pair" button.

1 hour ago, tonytech said:

No simultaneous Tx/Rx, and I havent tried it with other BT devices nearby, but I was suprised that it connected to my headphones so easily as they dont have a "pair" button.

That's ashame as the headset is 2 way.

Anyway I've ordered one, hopefully it will connect to the HA, unlike the unit I already have.