New Product Safety Display!

Hey Everyone, I am a final Year student studying Lighting Design and Technology. We were set an assignment in September to create a product that would benefit the industry, We are now at the stage of market research and hope you could spare 10 minutes of you time to click on the link below and answer some questions. There is a brief explanation of our product including renders to help assist the process.

Thank you in advance.

https://forms.gle/ZHk9bZzWrAnP5q6MA

I ran through it, although I had to give "placeholder" answers for the building specific stuff - we don't all work in just one building!

I'm actually probably your exact target audience here - I design new theatres and renovations to older ones.

It's an interesting idea, I would just be concerned about a: Cost and b: versatility for other applications other than safety enhancement. Until they're required by code, this is going to be a hard sell unless you have other applications clearly identified.

Moderation: (With my Admin hat on, I deleted the other two topics you started, one is fine, thanks.)

So it's a screen hurried in the floor - I probably needed to know that before the final questions. My venue has ALL of those flooring types, not just one, but the expense of putting a new 13A outlet in is considerable, so unless it's a new build, I fail to see how it could be retrofitted. Concrete floors would be a killer, and the cabling for all of them a real problem, unless they charge from available light and are wifi. You gave no technical info at all - and I fail to see how a supervisor let this questionnaire past the quality checking stage. It won't produce any sensible data at all.

This is a quite appalling effort at a survey - there are so many things wrong with it one wonders where to start. I'll say it once again. A questionnaire is almost always the wrong method and it is here again. Any data gained through this will be worthless.

Quoted for emphasis - I can't agree more.

And it's missing the key question - would you use/buy/install this product. I couldn't care less about the colour palette or logo since I don't think it's a practical product in the real world.

So it's a screen hurried in the floor - I probably needed to know that before the final questions. My venue has ALL of those flooring types, not just one, but the expense of putting a new 13A outlet in is considerable, so unless it's a new build, I fail to see how it could be retrofitted. Concrete floors would be a killer, and the cabling for all of them a real problem, unless they charge from available light and are wifi. You gave no technical info at all - and I fail to see how a supervisor let this questionnaire past the quality checking stage. It won't produce any sensible data at all.

I know we could do this system with what we use. I could hazard its been suggested in one of our installs. I'm fairly confident we have run something similar on screens.

The actual "method's" would not be too hard but knocking on the door of 500-800+ per panel not including install and cables. AND protection from customers.

Another vote for this being a very poorly thought out questionnaire.

IF you want to get viable info for this theoretical product you need to completely rethink what you're asking.

It matters not what level of qualifications I have, for example. Nor is it relevant (certainly at this stage) what the logo design might be or even what the palette colours could be.

One huge hurdle you need to address is how venues might be able or willing to set these panels into their floors. There's only the choice of including one type of floor in the survey, but in my (small) venue, we have concrete, carpeted concrete, timber floorboards, carpeted floorboards, sprung floors, flooring chipboard (with and without carpet/lino) just for starters.

I get that the idea is a theory at this stage, but part of that theory needs to be how you'd be able to install not just the panels themselves but also the control and power within each type of flooring.

The idea MIGHT have some merit, but given the likely VERY high cost and installation time fro something like this it could be a non-starter even on the drawing board....

• 1 month later...
Emergency lighting in the floor is pretty common in some countries (I saw a lot of it in Beijing) and I can see how something like this can work - however I very much doubt that regulatory authorities would agree to an emergency exit signage solution that only gives you directions to the exit when in a certain mode. The reason that emergency exit signage is always on in most venues is so that people know their way out before an emergency..

• 3 weeks later...