Phillips Dubai lamps.

adam2

Phillips have introduced a new type of LED lamp with an effeciency of 200 lumens per watt, or about twice that of the best alternatives.

They come in three wattages, 1 watt, 2 watts, and 3 watts, to replace 25 watt, 40 watt, and 60 watt incandescent lamps.

These lamps are not dimmable but sound useful for back of house areas in venues, other busineses and d0m3stically.

These lamps are primarily marketed in Dubai were a local regulation requires their use in many buildings.

Does anyone know of a UK stockist ? or an overseas supplier that ship affordably to the UK ?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had never heard of this before your post. Apparently designed in some bizarre tie up between Philips and the Dubai government, it is universally known as "The Dubai Lamp", and as you say no other lamps are permitted to be used, which I can imagine causing a few issues. Also does not appear to be available anywhere else in the world.

Except of course on Amazon.ae

https://www.amazon.ae/Dubai-Lamp-Warm-White-3W/dp/B07N7125GV

Edited by timsabre

Hmmm, 200 lumens per Watt from that style lamp? Maybe the fundamental laws of physics work differently in Dubai.

I suspect that the claim is true, Phillips are a reputable company and are unlikely IMHO to make false claims. Futhermore, the wattage is easy to measure, and the light output can be measured with an integrating sphere, something any university physics department should have. Rival lamp makers would also obtain samples, test them, and announce any false claims.

AFAIK, 200 lumens per watt does not break any laws of physics, the theoretical limit is about 300 lumens per watt for white light, the exact figure varies according to what shade of white is innvolved.

I had never heard of this before your post. Apparently designed in some bizarre tie up between Philips and the Dubai government, it is universally known as "The Dubai Lamp", and as you say no other lamps are permitted to be used, which I can imagine causing a few issues. Also does not appear to be available anywhere else in the world.

Except of course on Amazon.ae

https://www.amazon.a...W/dp/B07N7125GV

Thanks for the link, but I had already tried amazon, the lamps in question "can not be shipped to the UK" This was the case a couple of months ago, and again a few minutes ago.

Does anyone have any alternative supplier ?

I'll edit this post to make it much less cynical.

It's interesting to note that the lamps are using several times the number of LED filaments as standard lamps.

That reduction of current to the filaments will result in much higher efficiency (possibly where the claimed efficiency comes from), better lumen maintenance and longer lamp life than one of the "pushed" equivalent lamps here that would typically run each filament at 1W. So maybe there's an advantage to the enforcement. That said, it would be counterproductive for Philips to make a lamp that never fails.

If Dubai does standardise on just a few lamps (which seems a bit weird) then it's going to make the lives of maintenance workers much easier if they just have to stock six lamps in their van. 1, 2 and 3W in 3000K and 6500K (warm white and cold white).

I actually kinda want one now.....

Edited by bigclive

I would guess this is because they can't yet make them at a scale to serve other countries, maybe?

The LED industry is already pushed trying to keep up with demand for the LED filaments. They are without doubt one of the most efficient and visually attractive LED lamps.

Whereas a typical western lamp uses 1 filament per watt, the Dubai version is using several filaments per watt, which eats up the filament stock and will make for cool running, efficient and reliable lamps.

That's great for users, but terrible for lamp manufacturer profits.