Phillips Dubai lamps.

adam2

I actually kinda want one now.....

Big fan of your YouTube channel, Clive. I'll grab a couple for you next week to take a look at.

If you can obtain more than a couple, perhaps offer the spares for sale on this forum ? I would buy a couple.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phillips may have some contractual arrangement that prohibits sales elswhere.

That however would probably not stop grey imports whereby someone in Dubai purchases a few dozen and re-sells them on fleabay or amazon.

If the lamps are as reliable as they sound then they won't be interested in selling them anywhere else. Most current LED lamps are pushed quite hard thermally, resulting in a lifespan that often doesn't compare favourably to traditional tungsten lamps.

If they're under-running the filaments and using enough in parallel to give inherent built in redundancy when one or two filaments fail, then the only limiting factor will be the LED driver components. And as the highest power lamp is just 3W, even the base should remain fairly cool.

For theatre use I'd suggest trying some filament lamps from CPC to see how they fare regarding colour and flicker.

200 lumens watt been available for a long time, 7 ,8 years ago it was the big headline number

https://www.extremetech.com/electronics/143672-cree-releases-landmark-200-lumen-per-watt-led

This thing is just underrun COBs in strips rather than as point source, which is where the dimness would show up, 200 lumens a watt is no real saving with no control over direction.

200 lumens watt been available for a long time, 7 ,8 years ago it was the big headline number

https://www.extremet...en-per-watt-led

This thing is just underrun COBs in strips rather than as point source, which is where the dimness would show up, 200 lumens a watt is no real saving with no control over direction.

There's a big difference between a 200 lumen/watt semiconductor and a commercial lamp with that efficiency though (and reading that article, you have to be very careful how you drive the LED to get that figure). I'd be interested if you can show me a link to a commercially available 200 lumen/watt lamp, I can't find any.

That was a few years ago, when everyone rated their LEDs in cryogenic conditions ?

This is an interesting reversal, underrun them will get efficacy up, there is plenty of air around them, but the power density is terrible,it's a big dim globe.

130/150 l/W not unusual with whopping heatsinks but more intense directional light.

Not certain that I agree with the statement about these being a "big, dim globe" They are no bigger and no dimmer than the 60 watt GLS lamps that they are intended to replace. An unlikely choice for stage lighting, but worthy of consideration for non public areas. Decorative lighting in foyers, and functional lighting for toilets, storage areas and exit routes.

Possibly also worth considering for large festoon installations. The very low loading would permit of greater lengths without excessive voltage drop. Also a saving on distro, cables, and generator capacity.

About the only production lighting application that I can foresee would be small scale outdoor productions. A few dozen of these would be ample for a small basic outdoor stage, and could be powered from a vehicle via an inverter. No generator needed. No dimming needed, use selective switching instead for basic control.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...