How do you play your sound effects?

james3mc

I'm looking for ideas for something more reliable and better quality than our current system.

We currently store sound effects as .mp3 or .wav and play them from a laptop out through the headphone jack.

I can't believe that that's how professional theatres work - so what do you use?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

use a headphone jack with Multiplay mostly but that is in a smaller venue

?Multiplay?? Google only tells me about games hosting. Am I missing something?

ShowCueSystems (SCS) into an X32 or through any decent USB audio interface.

https://www.showcuesystems.com

Steve

The software side is sorted - we simply wrote our own. I'm more interested in what sort of hardware shows run their sfx from (laptops etc) and how do they get the audio out (headphone, usb etc.).

The software side is sorted - we simply wrote our own. I'm more interested in what sort of hardware shows run their sfx from (laptops etc) and how do they get the audio out (headphone, usb etc.).

Laptop/desktop - Windows/Mac

plus any professional grade usb audio interface (depending on how many channels you want).

I use SCS on a laptop via a USB interface (normally an ESI Gigaport HD+) or more often via a USB link to my X32. The ESI only has unbalanced outputs but I can run it through a DI box if necessary.

I tend to have a second laptop running a network synchronised hot backup into muted channels on the desk just in case of disaster.

My show laptops don’t go online to reduce the risk of viruses or reboots. I update the AV via memory stick.

I use SCS on a laptop via a USB interface (normally an ESI Gigaport HD+) or more often via a USB link to my X32. The ESI only has unbalanced outputs but I can run it through a DI box if necessary.

I tend to have a second laptop running a network synchronised hot backup into muted channels on the desk just in case of disaster.

My show laptops don’t go online to reduce the risk of viruses or reboots. I update the AV via memory stick or a local offline network.

Edited by Rob_P

USB direct to the desk if available; otherwise Focusrite Scarlett interface.

Circumstances do sometimes dictate that laptop headphone output is the only option; it works and nobody has ever noticed yet alone complained.

USB direct to the desk if available; otherwise Focusrite Scarlett interface.

Circumstances do sometimes dictate that laptop headphone output is the only option; it works and nobody has ever noticed yet alone complained.

Why do you think anyone should notice?

I'm on macs at work. For simple shows with just stereo playback we'll use the headphone out. For bigger shows we have a couple of interfaces, one does 10 outs, the other can go up to 30 outs if we want to. However increasingly we're just using a USB into the venues desk (Digicos or X32s for example) or Dante Virtual Soundcard with just an ethernet connection needed.

We use QLab, but I am also a happy MultiPlay user when I don't have a mac to hand. On cheaper windows laptops I'm more likely to avoid the headphone output, but most are pretty good these days. Certainly not as bad as they used to be.