Managing premature collapse of wiring systems

Charlotte_R

It's great to see the discussions that are going on here!

Having used metal cable ties, they are not a meaningful solution to this issue - they are very permanent and difficult to remove. I like the idea of using spare hook clamps as cable supports, as well as safety cables.

At the risk of spouting off words that I learned on my 6-day 2391 course, BS7671 is a quasi-statutory document. You don't have to follow it, but if you didn't and something went wrong then you'd definitely have to justify yourself in front of someone in a curly wig. On the same note, BS7671 does apply to temporary installations; BS7909 is effectively an addendum to apply the document specifically to the entertainment industry.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For venues with lots of temporary installations, Clive, isn't it about time we stopped using sticking plaster solutions and had ducting? Or wireless or Cat or anything but draping cables over emergency exits as we have done for decades? A better nail in a doorframe isn't the solution. If we are thinking of that then the temporary bodge has become the norm and that can't be right.

When the current Edinburgh Tattoo stands were designed we were fortunate in that we had direct input to the design process.

When you enter the box complex encompassing the VIP suite and the technical area you wouldn't know that it wasn't a permanent structure.

In reality, as you walk along the corridor that leads to the workshop, projection and production areas you are walking on a cable duct. An underfloor area divided into two sections, power and signal. It's accessed by lifting the floor panels. Not easy or fun, but very functional.

When you walk out onto the gantries you'll find integrated metal hooks for the cables, an overhead rail system for transporting heavy loads and integrated lighting bars for the lights designed to contain everything in the event of an "incident" (and by incident, remember - this is a "military" event.)

The facilities and under-stand cabling is all supported by ladder rack, cable tray and other steelwork with nothing that can come down in the event of a fire. All electrical distribution and control equipment is within fire protected steel cabins. It makes load-in a little bit harder, but it was all designed around safety.

In modern permanent venues I would expect a built in infrastructure for a lot of the required services. For other stuff I would hope there would be an accessible, but secure route.

For older venues that were prior to "incidents" I would at least expect audience areas and entries and exits to be safe.

I wouldn't expect the stage to be an exit route. In fact, I would expect there to be many other preferable exits.

In reality, as you walk along the corridor that leads to the workshop, projection and production areas you are walking on a cable duct. An underfloor area divided into two sections, power and signal. It's accessed by lifting the floor panels. Not easy or fun, but very functional.

I've worked in quite a lot of venues that have a cable duct accessed by lifting the floor, both as a venue tech and as a touring tech. I generally find them easier to use than the alternative of hanging cables on hooks, but perhaps that's because installations of ducts show that running cables has been thought about in advance?

I know a couple of places with cable traps that go completely unused because they don't go to the right places, one has it end about half a foot from the edge of stage in the walkway for the front row. Utterly useless.

On the other hand, I'm constantly surprised by the number of venues which do have regular touring events in which don't have any, be that hook, duct or shelved, route from stage to FOH and expect the temporary cable ramp (carpet chucked down) / nails in the door frame techniques. That and not having fire sealable holes through useful walls where appropriate. Even brand new, purpose built buildings are missing these.

Our beloved daughter worked in the cloakroom at Koko while studying in London and it is a miracle it hasn't gone up in flames or simply fallen down years ago, according to her.

Out of interest she and a mate filled in for some missing DJs one day. Jarvis Cocker thought their bonkers set was hilarious and told the management to re-book them but the kids turned them down, they made more on the cloakroom than as DJ's.