Outside Concert Speakers

Jupton24

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hire can be a real problem for education. They have a very odd funding culture

Well agreed but hire was never a problem for us as a) we had clever heads and b) we used the school funds reimbursed from ticket sales if necessary.

Mind you I had a very strict personal rule about equipment purchase. If it was likely to be idle for 38 out of a 40 week academic year we simply didn't buy it and made do with what we had. In schools it doesn't matter - not really. This is why for a new studio theatre in 1992 the only lighting I bought new was 4 Starlette Fresnels. The rest was Strand and Furse kit from existing instals - none of which had done more than, I estimate, three months work in 38 years. In one cupboard I found a package of Cinemoid, dispatched from King Street in 1962, unopened!

In the real world, £10k for a PA that will do quality sound outside up to 100m isn’t going to happen!

If I were involved I would put the idea forward of putting some of the £10k in to infrastructure for larger events such as a 63/3 outlet put in by a professional electrician depending how far away the closest large power is that may not be cheap.

Then look at buying a PA that can be used by the whole school and also cover the smaller events on this outdoor stage. Something like Yamaha DXR15 / Yamaha DXS18 of which is a fairly small system but will swallow the best part of £5k

Has anyone even mentioned Wedges and lines systems etc? If you get any sort of professional band come through they will easily want £20k’s worth of lines, wedges and IEMs. Hence my comment about spending the money on infrastructure so when your local PA come in to do a sensible sized gig you don’t have to spend £2-3k on generators and heavy mains / distribution

People have mentioned D&B C7 / B2 etc Forget it! £10k won’t even buy the amps new let alone boxes, cable package etc. Second hand maybe a small C7 package but if your getting funding it will have to be new.

£10k is HK Audio Yamaha DXR money.

People have mentioned D&B C7 / B2 etc Forget it! £10k won't even buy the amps new let alone boxes, cable package etc. Second hand maybe a small C7 package but if your getting funding it will have to be new.

Worth noting, these were mentioned prior to the OP giving any indication of budget.

In the real world, £10k for a PA that will do quality sound outside up to 100m isn't going to happen!

If I were involved I would put the idea forward of putting some of the £10k into infrastructure for larger events such as a 63/3 outlet put in by a professional electrician depending how far away the closest large power is that may not be cheap.

Then look at buying a PA that can be used by the whole school and also cover the smaller events on this outdoor stage. Something like Yamaha DXR15 / Yamaha DXS18 of which is a fairly small system but will swallow the best part of £5k

Has anyone even mentioned Wedges and lines systems etc? If you get any sort of professional band come through they will easily want £20k's worth of lines, wedges, and IEMs. Hence my comment about spending the money on infrastructure so when your local PA come in to do a sensible sized gig you don't have to spend £2-3k on generators and heavy mains/distribution

People have mentioned D&B C7 / B2 etc Forget it! £10k won't even buy the amps new let alone boxes, cable package etc. Second hand maybe a small C7 package but if your getting funding it will have to be new.

£10k is HK Audio Yamaha DXR money.

cheers for that. I will put forward this to them. the speakers suggested by you might be what they need. though it is nice that bishop sound Orion contains Bluetooth so they can use them without a sound op. I have a clearer idea now and will put forward either the orions or the dxr15/18s. they both seem to be multi-use and that is ideal for them as they may consider just using it as a stand-alone PA system. is there any PA systems like the ones suggested that are battery powered?