MultiPlay - New Version In Development

David Duffy

Another question for MultiPlay users; what types of cues do you use? Are there any that you consider obsolete?

For example. I never got around to implementing MSC last time. Is it worth looking into?

There are still situations where I would find MSC useful. If that is too much work at the moment then the ability to send MIDI SysEx would give the same functionality for a bit more work at the user end.

The addition of OSC is probably a game-changer and will open up a lot of Show Control possibilities.

I agree that keeping as much control as possible over Serial commands would be desirable. You just never know what ancient piece of gear might raise its head.

I haven't used one for a while but I still have some machines with XP and I wouldn't discount using one for a show. However, if it is a lot of work to support XP then (sadly, in my opinion) it might be time to lay it to rest.

Is anyone still using XP ?

I suspect quite a few of us. The laptops I normally .take out for presentations & audio playback are all XP. They have the great advantage of enabling me to say"No, you CAN'T email me the latest version of your powerpoint or your music when you change your mind in the middle of the gig", "No , I CAN'T play the video clip you forgot from Youtube" or "No, I CAN'T download your music from iTunes as you go on stage".

Another one using XP, I have 2 dedicated laptops,main and standby. I could migrate but would loose several other very useful programs.

Brian

I was having a discussion with David about the possibility of more than one action per cue. One of David's concerns was the backward compatibility of Productions.

So who needs to re-use previous productions and who would prefer to have a clean start with the new version and possibly some more advanced facilities?

Brian

One of David's concerns was the backward compatibility of Productions.

So who needs to re-use previous productions and who would prefer to have a clean start with the new version and possibly some more advanced facilities?

Interesting thought, though backward compatibility sounds like the ability to run a new production on an earlier version (or am I missing something?), which seems an unlikely requirement. On the other hand I would definitely put the ability to reuse, or copy, an old production on the "would be nice" (but not essential) list

E2A: Or is the problem that "old" & "new" productions are in totally different formats?

Edited by sandall

Since I'm rewriting a lot of code, I *could* use this opportunity to change the production file format to enable more flexible cue actions.

If so, I may be able to provide a one way (old -> new) format conversion to bring in existing productions.

I'd also like more feedback on what cue types you do and don't currently use.

Another one using XP, I have 2 dedicated laptops,main and standby.

And I thought I was old school in not going to Win 10 ! ** laughs out loud ** :)

I'll have to dig out (or make up) a box with XP on it. I have XP as a VM on the server, but not sure if that would be a good test.

**EDIT**

Now that I'm looking at the production file format, I'm wondering if everything that isn't cue list related should move to the general preferences instead?

Hot buttons (button layout) would stay with production. Appearance (colours), triggers could go either way.

Things like audio/midi/serial/telnet patches are pretty machine specific.

Comments please?

Edited by David Duffy

OSC cues and control are working now. Telnet control is also now working.

Telnet cues / patches are on the to-do list.

Serial cues / patches will worked on soon too.

I'm still looking for discussion on the production vs general preferences.

#Hides behind the curtain before admitting to still using XP.

I'm also a fan of LINUX, got a couple of Raspberry Pis running odds and sods plus a couple of arduinos.....

I have 4 old touch screen tablet /laptops (the type that open up then the screen rotates and it folds up, hiding the keyboard but leaving the pen type touch screen visible. Works in portrait or landscape)

They have a docking adapter that I've fitted to a angelpoise lamp type arm.

They are perfect for the limited space I have to work in, But definitely not the end of the world if I have to upgrade.

Once I've used a production it never comes out again. So Clean sheet for me.

Really appreciate the work you are doing.

T

Edited by tonytech

Telnet cues and patches are working now. Some feedback on how people use them would be good.

I think the OSC control / cues will open up a lot of possibilities for interaction with other systems.

Good to know about the OS usage. I'll have to make up an XP box to try the new version on.

I think it is best if all the preferences needed to run a show live in the show file. So patches/addresses etc. should all live in the show file. That way swapping a machine out is (nearly) as simple as reloading the show file (plus any port config handled by windows).

I suppose UI settings might want to live separately, but it wouldn’t bother me if they lived in the show file too, it’s easy enough to make a template file with the UI setup to your liking.

Once I've used a production it never comes out again. So Clean sheet for me.

Thinking about it I would tend to agree. I'm a self-confessed serial hoarder of anything old (I still have shelves of 1/4" show tapes & vinyl sfx discs that I will probably never play again), so if I did need to reuse a production I would just dig out the XP machine that I used for the original show, rather than try to migrate it to the new version.

I suppose UI settings might want to live separately, but it wouldn't bother me if they lived in the show file too, it's easy enough to make a template file with the UI setup to your liking.

Also tend to agree, as you will need to make a template for the rest of your layout preferences.

How about:

If you want to run old shows on new software, you open the show, accept compatibility/change caveats, and tell the user to 'save as' new file format (new file extension needed.)

Sort of like opening Microsoft Office files with Libre Office.

OS: When I started using Multiplay, I decided Win 7 was the minimum, since I wanted security upgrades.

Note: machines are not network connected -- just being cautious.

Edited by Tech Pat

How about:

If you want to run old shows on new software, you open the show, accept compatibility/change caveats, and tell the user to 'save as' new file format (new file extension needed.)

That's pretty much what I was thinking. A new file extension and some version numbering to enable warnings.

This is good news. Thank you - donation sent.

I was a firm MP user for many years but have to confess I've moved toward SCS in recent years, mainy due to increasing use of imagery in shows. Nothing complicated, just basic stuff eg jpg images only seem to display for a few seconds in MP before disappearing. I never did work out if it was possible to make them display indefinitely. Is that me being daft, a problem with my PC or a feature of MP?

For more comples shows, I have used midi cues to control Screen Monkey with a lot of success but it is a bit cumbersome to set up.

Audio wise it has always been fine although it is a bit fussy about file formats. Again this could be more to do with my PC than MP. For instance, it won't play 32 bit files, which is sometimes how things downloaded from YouTube etc turn up. I think durations/elapsed/remaining counters go a bit awry with anything other than 44k files too. That's not a big issue so I've not spent much time looking into workarounds, other than to routinely convert everything to 44k/16bit .wav and had no problems

Mentioned earlier but the thing about files being changed (mainly duration changes) then throwing an error in MP and refusing to play would be a useful fix.

Thank you again David

Eddie

edit to add: There's also an issue with adding audio files that are not in the $media folder which on this old (Vista!) PC causes the programme to lock up (possibly loop?), since the filename in the dialogue box seems to flash furiously.

Edited by gafferted

Thanks for the feedback Eddie.

The video cue in 2.5.5.0 never worked properly and yes the audio was terrible with mp3 files on anything other than XP systems.

I'm yet to test the new version with lots of different file types, but it should be ok.

The whole $Media folder thing needs revisiting and it always had some quirks.