MultiPlay - New Version In Development

David Duffy

I'm looking to mute the mics as they leave stage and unmute as they return for their next scene. The problem is these are elementary age kids and trusting them to turn off their mic pack and then remembering to turn it back on has been a disaster. Our board is complete anolog, and each mic is in its own channel which we can manual mute. but its gets confusing when you have to mute mic 1,8,12,17 and then unmute 4,9,17,20 and so forth.

I think all would agree that having the talent :rolleyes: even look at the packs is a very bad idea as you have found out :o

Even though getting them to keep their mouths shut when off stage in case their mic is still on is virtually impossible, it's still better than letting them operate their own pack. :)

To be brutally honest, I think you're better off just getting used to the idea of riding the faders - or mute buttons as the case may be. Maybe see if the job on the desk could be split between 2 people? 1-10 person 1, 11-20 person 2.

Having said that it is heavy going if it's a fast moving show.... I recently did a show with 26 radio mics and an analogue 32ch desk :blink: :blink:

how would you connect that between the xlr from the mic receiver to the sound board?

See lamplighter's most recent post. Each relay is patched into a Channel Insert socket, using a TRS jack (see the GL2200 manual for info about wiring Inserts). There are probably lots of variations of this type of relay board - if going with the one revbobuk has linked to you would want the version with mechanical relays.

Ignore my suggestion about using Mute Groups - I see the GL2200 didn't have them. Tim's suggestion of hiring a digital desk may be the best option, unless you want to spend a lot of time with a soldering iron, though you might find an A&H Q16 or Q32 would involve a less steep learning curve.

It sounds like you'll need help from a local audio person with this.

Wouldn't it click/thump really badly though if you did this with the channel faders up?

A quick down & up on the master or group faders while muting & unmuting would solve that, but I rather suspect David has the real answer.

I've used the LA Audio 16 channel Multigate to do this a few times, many years ago. Controlled by midi with (IIRC) Cakewalk triggering the required program changes.

I bought one many years ago for that exact purpose but then acquired a digital desk so never put it to use. Neat solution though!

If you arrange the relays to shunt the insert point to ground via a T junction of 1K resistors I'm pretty sure you'd be fine. The channel would work normally until the relay's N/O contact closes at which point the channel would be muted.

Can you point me in the right direction on how to get multiplay to send commands to the StudioLive-24.4.2 mixer it uses a thing called universal control 1.7.1. connects to my windows xp laptop via firewire.

When you asked about this before I tried to find some information, as I've done quite a bit of work remote controlling behringer desks. But Presonus do not seem to make their control system public, they just provide their own proprietary apps to control the desk. Without this info it will be difficult.

Maybe someone else knows more.

Edited by timsabre