MultiPlay - New Version In Development

David Duffy

Great news!

MP is still my favorite in spite of some bugs/limitations that I learned to live with or work around..

Over the years I recommended MP to many colleges and show/dance directors as it offers some nice and unique features that are not available on most play back softwares.

May I suggest you set up a basic develop/support forum page for users to contribute their ideas ets. as well as supplying a donation address (Paypal?)

Thank you and keep up this great work!

Work is progressing well and I've ordered the docking component software - thanks to some donations. :)

Audio cues are sounding like they should (old audio "engine" is gone) and a lot of the functionality is there.

Because of the lost later versions of the source code I'm having to revisit a bunch of bugs from 2012!

I'm also taking the time to try and improve the code as I go and make everything more robust.

Please feel free to chime in with what didn't work on the old version(s) so I can see if it can be sorted.

Hi David,

Here is my list..

1. Que lists directory isn’t fixed. When loading or saving a que list, the default directory that opens is the one last used to load music tracks from.

2. If the que control window is open, and any of its functions are ticked by the mouse, the keyboard shortcuts for the main que list window are disabled. The pointer needs to be clicked anywhere on the main window to regain control.

3. If a track is Loaded into a que list and is later edited by another program (e.g. trimmed), MP flags an error as it doesn't match the original track parameters. Maybe a 'refresh' button could be added to solve this by retaining the original file name and path and just updating the track's length.

And while I'm at it, here is my wish list..

1. Make the que control window zoomable so that a wider track ruler is possible for greater resolution.

2. Add a time scale to the track ruler in the que control window.

3. Add an option for setting a dynamic que point within a track.

4. Add Midi Time Code generator per track, with display and offset setting.

Thanks a lot,

Not sure about the "option for setting a dynamic que point within a track" though

e.g. during rehearsal of a track when a temporary restart/que point within the track is needed.

This feature, if enabled would position a pointer/mark on the track's bar (in the que control window).

This mark could then be dragged to the desired position where the playing of the track will start.

Also, when this 'Mid Que' feature is enabled, it would defeat the track's Advance attribute and after stopping will replay from the 'Mid Que' point.

Got a little carried away but I hope I was clearer now..

:)

Hmmm... that one will take some thinking about. In the meantime I've fixed the last production folder vs last media folder issue.

I also have video cues working in a basic manner. Hopefully I can get something usable working for MultiPlay version 3.

Ooh, yes please.

Not sure about the "option for setting a dynamic que point within a track" though

e.g. during rehearsal of a track when a temporary restart/que point within the track is needed.

Nice. Quite a few pro and semi-pro CD players do this. eg Numark CDN-22. While playing a track you hit a button and when you press the re-cue button it goes back to that point. The re-cue point can be jogged and changed.

That's what I was thinking. I was going to remove the close button for it since the cue list is the heart of the action.

Work is progressing well and I'm still rewriting lots of code to make it more maintainable in the future.

Another addition is double clicking the Pan or Pitch controls text resets them back to centre.

Edited by David Duffy

Next question for those that use the Serial Cues. Are the parity and handshaking options needed?

I was going to pare it down to port number, baud rate, data bits and stop bits.

The other improvement is graceful handling of a USB serial port being inserted / removed.

As someone who has had to interface lots of serial stuff in the past, I'd day it's a questionable omission to assume 8B1SNP and so I'd allow the options to be selected. Even assuming 8 bits is questionable. Likewise, I've had to interface to stuff with no handshake at all, full hardware handshake, software handshake (XON/XOFF) ... Edited by alistermorton

Hi David,

Here is my list..

1. Que lists directory isn't fixed. When loading or saving a que list, the default directory that opens is the one last used to load music tracks from.

2. If the que control window is open, and any of its functions are ticked by the mouse, the keyboard shortcuts for the main que list window are disabled. The pointer needs to be clicked anywhere on the main window to regain control.

3. If a track is Loaded into a que list and is later edited by another program (e.g. trimmed), MP flags an error as it doesn't match the original track parameters. Maybe a 'refresh' button could be added to solve this by retaining the original file name and path and just updating the track's length.

And while I'm at it, here is my wish list..

1. Make the que control window zoomable so that a wider track ruler is possible for greater resolution.

2. Add a time scale to the track ruler in the que control window.

3. Add an option for setting a dynamic que point within a track.

Thanks a lot,

Watching the thread with interest, as we do have MP users in our venue.

But I can't (or more accurately my OCD won't) let the mis-spell of CUE pass by.

Sorry, but the word is CUE, not QUE. There is no English word QUE - QUEUE is the closest you'll get, and whilst you might refer to a queue of cues, it wouldn't be very common.

Apologies - rant over :D

While you’re looking at serial cues, would an update to include OSC or raw TCP be too much work?

RS232 was great 10 years ago, but is now increasingly out of date and being supplanted by TCP or OSC.

Totally understand if it’s beyond the scope of a software project that doesn’t really earn you anything.