mic cable

timmiddleton

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Eurocable, Belden, Mogami and Canare. I always use "starquad" for mic cables, the extra RF rejection and redundacy is worth it. Connectors are alway Neutriks for singles. Link and Whirlwind connectors are hard to beat for multipin.

I always use "starquad" for mic cables, the extra RF rejection and redundacy is worth it.

The trade off is that you'll loose high frequencies quicker with long cables due to the increased capacitance. I've never experienced a problem with RF pickup using normal single twisted pair mic cable rather than starquad. Not sure what you mean by redundancy...

• 2 weeks later...

So, I need to buy 100m of mic cable and, while I'm about it, 100m of decent unbalanced cable for guitar/keyboard/line level cables.

I'm looking at these two Van Damme cables from Rapid Electronics, which seem decent prices: mic cable at 65 and instrument cable at 54.95 (all plus VAT)

Am I barking up the right tree, and are these prices as competitive as they look? Any other pointers appreciated. BTW, did open a trade accound with VCD but didn't see fantastic looking prices.

Then they probably don't think you're a real trader....

Fair comment. It is for non-personal use, but I'm the first to admit I'm hardly going to be a massive customer!

So, back to my post. Was my identification of good cable & decent prices OK?

I've used Van Damme mic cable a lot in the past and think it's very good...nice and flexible with good handling characteristics. (Frankly, unless you're using really rubbish cable or working in incredibly electrically noisy conditions, you'll never hear any audible difference in cables...so the mechanics and handling characteristics are the big deciding factor.) I'm 18 months out of date with UK pricing but the quoted price seems okay...not the cheapest but it's good cable.

I've not tried that particular "instrument cable" and must admit I'm trying to work out why you'd need 100 metres of unbalanced cable. If you're making up a lot of short leads, I suppose so but for any decently long runs I'd add a DI box/balancing Xfrmr at the send end and run with balanced cable.

Bob

I've used Van Damme mic cable a lot in the past and think it's very good...nice and flexible with good handling characteristics. (Frankly, unless you're using really rubbish cable or working in incredibly electrically noisy conditions, you'll never hear any audible difference in cables...so the mechanics and handling characteristics are the big deciding factor.) I'm 18 months out of date with UK pricing but the quoted price seems okay...not the cheapest but it's good cable.

Indeed, what I want is cable that doesn't handle like a pig! And the cost differntial between this VD cable and the Thomann own brand option is not enough to worry about. Any pointers to cheaper prices?

I've not tried that particular "instrument cable" and must admit I'm trying to work out why you'd need 100 metres of unbalanced cable. If you're making up a lot of short leads, I suppose so but for any decently long runs I'd add a DI box/balancing Xfrmr at the send end and run with balanced cable.

No way am I after 50m long unbalanced cables! In reality, I'll probably only make up about 30m worth of short cables at the moment. But there's always a use for more cables over the years to come, so worth having spare on the workshop shelf. And it'll stop me being forced to pay through the nose for some Maplin rubbish for the odd job.

VDC all the way and pre made from them there cables are much better made as that is all they do make things. you can get them from there web site www.vdctrading.com or from some of the sales/production companys on BR

colin

All of the majour hire comapnies such as WigWam etc all use VanDamme mic cable with neutrik connectors. Their multicore system is also VanDamme cable with custom patch pannels made by VDC.

I work in a venue where hire companies are allways comming and going and the majourity of companies use VanDamme.

So for me there is no question that VanDamme is obviously the best cable to use.

Archived