mic cable

timmiddleton

I would like to add a vote for the amphenol connectors, I prefer them to the neutrik ones, they have larger solder buckets, seem more heat proof in the plastic, allowing you to reuse them a few times, and have a much better "alligator" cable grip...

have lots of different types of mic cable, proel was one of the best, my current favourite is the dap audio - musiflex copy, seems as flexible as musiflex, but is about half the price...

paul...

Yeh, looking at DAP's website I take it you mean their "MC-226" cable. Any ideas where to buy some from? Is an absolute nightmare trying to find anyone selling anything by DAP other than ABS cases and DJ speakers. CPC do their prefab cables I know, but not bulk cable, and I want to stick with Neutrik connectors, despite DAP's amazingly good copies - force of habit I guess. I also think the prefab cables are made with the 216 cable.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard that putting cables in a bucket of hot water for a bit would make them lose their memory, but the idea of giving cables a bath seemed just a little dodgy... Water + Electrical Conductors... hmmm...

EDIT: This was a reply to the bottom of page 1, but hey it still fits, ish.

Yep, try and not get the connectors wet if you can help it. Even if they do, just make sure you give them plenty of time to dry. Large connectors can be bagged up with polythene.

*Charlyfarly has memories of giving urine-soaked mic cables from Reading Festival a thorough disinfectant bath! *

I used to sparingly use a heat gun to soften 'memoried' cables.

After a festival last year when we had a swimming pool under the stage and a mud bath in the audience area, removing the burried cables was fun and necessitated all being washed using a rag and soapy water before being dried hung over a large piece of security fencing in the sunshine, then coiled and flightcased. Since this was a 'low budget' event, it was the organisers wife n daughters who stood in the sun for 6 hours cleaning the cables while we de-rigged. This year the same event happened on a concrete carpark - less mud, less cleaning and less rain.

Before anyone comments, the stage was under cover and all electrical connections were raised up and fixed away from the water, to the satisfaction of the Electrical Safety Inspector for the Army in Scotland (well thats what his name tag said) - it was their site.

• 3 years later...
pirana cables are great!!! come equipped with neutric connectors and are dead cheap

Do you have contact details, cos I did a quick :blink: and could not find any reference to them.

sorry to resurrect this topic but can I just ask if anyone does have a link?

ive been using cables and connectors for a large part of my life and wouldnt trust anything other than Neutrik connectors AND Proel Cable. There really is no comparison. I have a friend who used to work with Neutrik so I always got my connectors from him but he no longer works there so I now use proaudiostash.co.uk. they have got one of the largest selections ive seen and they can get any cable you need , even if its not on the website. have a look http://proaudiostash.co.uk/dyn/_smallads/page_4.shtml

I don't think I could bring myself to pay nearly £2 (exc vat) for a female XX series XLR.

So Rob - where would you get your connectors from? I'm particularly amazed by the price of the NP3X x-series stereo jack, which I want to use for a short 8-way loom, but they are horribly expensive.

Generally VDC unless someone else will do me a deal at the time. I'm comparing 1 for 1 prices aswell, I didn't notice any price breaks and multiple purchase discounts on the site there, I added 100 to the cart to see if a discount appeared, and it didn't. It maybe something that can be / has to be discussed over the phone, who knows.

I haven't paid over £1.05+vat for a female yet, although I haven't ordered any for a while and I do know that the general price went up, but not that much. Less for males.

I haven't paid over £1.05+vat for a female yet, although I haven't ordered any for a while and I do know that the general price went up, but not that much. Less for males.

Single price for a female at VDC at present is £2.18 plus VAT - comes down in quantity, of course, but it must be a while since you last ordered!

Archived