Blu-Ray players -

Ynot

We're just about to start with showing classic films at our venue under a Movie Club type arrangement and I was looking at buying in a suitable Blu-Ray/DVD player as the obvious source. However, as it's been some time since I personally invested in any disc player I was a little surprised to find that there don't appear to be options these days that will deliver a 'traditional' set of outputs.

So far all I've found are units which have an HDMI and a combined/composite audio output on a single RCA/phono (which I gather can get decoded by a Dolby home cinema system - something that's not really much use to me.

Our projector feeds are at present set up for VGA and composite video, and obviously we need to send audio to the sound desk, so ideally at the very least a basic stereo pair of phono outs, if not a full set of 5-1 outs so we can play with surround sound.

So the question is where do I look for such a wee beastie?

A domestic machine would have been perfectly adequate for our limited needs, as we're only talking 1 movie a month as a regular thing with occasional film festivals showing multiples in a week.

But I'm guessing we'll be needing to go for something maybe a little more commercial...

Thoughts?

I know there are adaptors to convert HDMI to VGA or phono with the audio split out, BUT the ideal would be an all-in-one solution to reduce potential fault liabilities...

I think the video outputs will always be in one of the HDCP compliant formats, and that means maybe DVI, but every device I've seen has been HDMI only output. There are plenty of HDMI - VGA with audio converters around, some of which claim HDCP compliance, but I wouldn't believe them until I've tried it out! You may well have issues with some disks refusing to play if the player isn't able to validate a full HDCP pathway end-to-end; after all, that's what HDCP is designed for, and commercial Blu-ray disks are exactly what it is intended to 'protect'. So you may be better off running a second feed to your projector, as most have DVI inputs, and you could go for DVI over Cat5 if cable length is an issue. But you will probably end up with adaptors all over the place!

Blu-ray players aren't aloowed to output decent video on anything other than HDMI, because of the HDCP copy protection system.

First stop is to look at Oppo Blu-ray players, these are pretty much the cinema standard for "alternative content". But, I'm fairly sure its only video output format is HDMI. Got full audio decoding to unbalanced RCAs though.

The only growler with these is the on-screen menus can't be suppressed.

As far as I know, as part of the BluRay licensing scheme (which all makers of 'compliant' BluRay players have to pay royalties to) it is no longer permitted to have any unprotected analogue output from any player. There may be a (poor quality) composite video output if you are lucky. If you need a component or similar better quality analogue output, you will need to find an older player which will do this. Many older players will limit the analog output quality to around 720P (aka 'HD Ready') because that's all that most display devices of the era could cope with. If you need 1080P then you are stuck with HDMI and the associated hassle.

To be honest in your situation, is DVD quality good enough for most of your audiences and source material? If so then it is much simpler to acquire suitable equipment and make it work together.

Peter

There are plenty of HDMI - VGA with audio converters around, some of which claim HDCP compliance

What "HDCP compliance" means in this context, though, is that the device won't pass copy protected signals to an unprotected analogue output. This is what is specified if you want to join the scheme.

Some switchers, for example, will pass HDCP content through to their HDMI output, but not the analogue VGA output. This is not the sort of thing that you want to be finding out minutes before a show when the client has just handed you a disc that won't work.

At a recent cinema-style installation, I ended up using one of these to get the audio out into a desk. It seems to be working well for them.

The 1998 'Digital Millennium Copyright Act' put paid to HD capable analogue Outputs on any New kit you purchase.

Where you are limited to a VGA or 3RCA/BNC HD capable analogue Input on your Display an HDFury will do the trick - HDF's idea of 'compliance' is at variance with DMCA :)

We use them in lots of situations.

Joe

I found a Panasonic player with stereo audio out that will do the job, as we rapidly concluded that feeding the projector with a HDMI line was going to be the most suitable solution.

At least I've learned a couple of things off the back of this appeal for assistance :)

I found this exact problem recently. In the end, I found an old Sony (at my Father-in-laws house!) that had discrete analogue audio outputs. Another thing to watch out for is the machine disabling analogue audio out when HDMI is plugged in. i.e.: Even if your machine has the connectors, it might disable the output to them. That was a problem I found with a Sony "laptop-style" BD player.

Anyway. My model is a Sony BDP-S370. Might be worth trawling for one secondhand.

I'm sure I've heard people recommending these: https://www.hdfury.com/

Though to be entirely fair I can't remember where I heard it now. It would certainly seem to solve your problem.

I have used these to connect a blu-ray player to a digital cinema system which was not HDCP compliant. The HD Fury 'pretends' to be the final display device so the player will send a HD signal with the HD Fury outputting an analogue HD picture.

+1 to Mark

I have used HDFurys to get signal over to non HDCP compliant systems.

In relation to the OPs original post, you would want an HDFury II or III as these both take HDCP protected HDMI signals and output VGA, and provide a stereo audio out on minijack. Full differences are listed here: https://www.hdfury.com/shop/videoprocessors/hd-fury-ii/ (go to the comparison section)

3d Fury distribute in the UK http://www.3dfury.co.uk/.

I would be tempted to go for the III instead of the II as it has more customisation options on the EDID settings if you need it, and has the ability to act as a basic switcher.

I'm sure I've heard people recommending these: https://www.hdfury.com/

Though to be entirely fair I can't remember where I heard it now. It would certainly seem to solve your problem.

I have used these to connect a blu-ray player to a digital cinema system which was not HDCP compliant. The HD Fury 'pretends' to be the final display device so the player will send a HD signal with the HD Fury outputting an analogue HD picture.

Archived