Chrome plating truss

Stuart91

So I've got an upcoming job where the spec calls for shiny truss. I was thinking of getting some of our stock chrome plated or somehow having a glossy, reflective coating applied. The truss is going to be in a purely decorative role so there are no structural concerns. (E.g. cracks being obscured)

I've had a phone round of various local firms. Everyone who does chrome plating thinks that even a 1m section of truss is too large - the firms I've been able to dig up seem more aimed at plating small engine parts or ornaments etc. I've had one company offering to powder coat it instead but I suspect this will be a matt grey rather than reflective silver looking finish. (When I asked about it, they didn't get back to me)

I'm beginning to resign myself to having to send it away somewhere to get done. We are only after a handful of 1m-ish sections so shouldn't be too impractical to courier, although local would be preferrable. Does anyone have any recommendations for companies I could approach for a quote?

Powder Coating can be done in any colour and finish you want - they're also used to dealing with big items (a "small" powder-coating oven will be 8ft long) so just ring around local powdercoaters until you find one who have a shiny metallic finish you like in stock

examples My link

you can get an entire bike frame plated, normally in nickel rather than the more blingy chrome.

apparently there is a powder coat that looks like a fair approximation of chrome and I will bet that it's cheaper.

If plating, the hard work is in the polishing, as the metal surface is what makes the difference.

so consider just having the alli truss polished and lacquered, or polished before (nickel) plating?

it may be easier to start with new stock as it will be cleaner or easier to polish.

Hampshire Electro Plate do bike frames

be aware that aluminium doesn't plate as well as steel, hence the polish and laquer recommendation.

+1 for spray, some nice monster colour/montana should do a good job, maybe test it out 1st. I used 3 cans to cover 3 sheets of deck in the gold, it was pretty shinny/ reflective. If its decorative does thommann not have such a thing?

Failing that ali tape and lots of time.

I saw a few months ago an old guy in his workshop with a finishing machine. He took a dull aluminium reflector I had and ten minutes later it was like a mirror. Maybe a power drill and a polishing wheel could work wonders before you spend real cash?

In my opinion, polishing rather than plating is the way to go.

I have successfully hand cleaned silver parcans and small amounts of truss with Autosol and a polishing mop in a cordless drill.

If you need to do quantity, then there are cheaper products designed for the metal polishing industry, try giving Hollison Supply in Birmingham a call, they are quite helpful and can supply the mops and abrasives that you will need.

Polishing is messy and time consuming so you may prefer to contract it out to a metal polishing company in your area.

Chroming alloy has to be triple plate. copper on to alloy , nickel on to copper , then chrome on to nickel, a 1m section of truss is going to cost a lot.

Polishing should come up nice but unlaquered it`ll dull fairly quickly.

....or you could just get it powder-coated, save yourself hours of boring work, end up with something that looks like expensive chrome / polished finish (and would be just the same durability) but which actually cost you about the price of a pint.

Plating onto Aluminium alloy is hard (to impossible) plating onto bike frames is easy because they are steel.

In motorcycle terms, a huge number of frames on sports bikes and sports tourers are aluminum spar designs (light, rigid). Has been very common since the eighties, although steel frames are still not uncommon on things like trail bikes. Certainly three of my recent Japanese bikes (one from the late eighties, one the nineties and one the noughties) have been aluminum spar frames, although the Triumphs and my DRZ and GPZ had steel frames. A lot of "strreetfighter" bikes are derived from supersport bikes, and they have aluminium frames that polish up very well to a mirror finish which is then lacquered to protect it

Ducati have famoulsy persevered with welded up steel trellis, of course.

EDITS : clarification.

the going rate for powder coating a motorcycle frame is about £100, with blasting the old stuff off.

(black)

I would guess that the truss would need less blasting, but still need some as the powder has to key to the base.

I restore old bikes as a hobby and my main bike had some alli parts chromed in 1985 and they still look good - although it is a summer rider, no nasty salt about.

all chrome needs copper/nickel/chrome to look good and stay on.

decorative chrome can be done straight to the metal but doesn't really last.

I have seen plating done and it is quicker than you think to do the undercoats, it is almost a dip process

I have done my own bike part poising and you get filthy but it is satisfying.

I have done some old strand lanterns, but on ebay a guy advertises to do them of £50. That is a bargain.

I would look into polishing one of what you have as a test?

Archived