Video transmitters

dmxlights

Hi,

I am thinking of buying some video transmitters for composite video to transmit video from a moving head with a camera in it back to the mixer it could be 60 to 80' foot away from me which will be up on a lighting stand. I would like to keep away from 2.4Ghz gear as I some times use 2.4 DMX transmitters.

I may also use them on other cameras as well.

I was looking at some of the 5.8Ghz transmitters used for RC video transmitting as some of these are up to 600mw of transmitting power

I assume that there is a reason that you cannot use cable? Even with a pan and tilt head proper camera head, you still need to power the camera.

In my experience, moving the transmitter means that the picture breaks up quite a bit until the camera stabilises . So if you keep the transmitter stable but move the camera, you might as well cable the whole thing. I have used a couple of legal units from the UK and a highly dodgy Chinese bought illegal power transmitter that does about a kilometre but goes mental with any movement

I would run the cable for video no problem. Where the video comes out of the mover is fixed as would the transmitter also the mover is up a lighting stand and there will be power there any way. It would be mainly strictly come dancing that the video transmitter would be used as it would save time when we are finished and trying to get out, as the most of the time theirs a disco on after the show.

I do mainly cable the camera for other show or events that I know that there is nothing on after it.

Save yourself grief and expense: Run a cable.

Just not worth the messing about with wireless if you can avoid it.

If you buy something cheap it will stop working when you need it to, or the data rate will be so low it will look rubbish, or the latency will be so high your dancers will have taken their final bows before their nifty footwork reaches your screens.

Cheap in this context is anything under £1500.

Just run a cable.

Cheers,

Peter

Some of the sat truck news guys have been experimenting with some of the five gig wifi kit. Costs just over two grand, and has what they need. Line of site performance good, but once objects and people start to get in the way the range comes down to twenty or thirty metres reliably. Usual delays and stuff, but quite usable. Quality is fine. Two grand may be cheap for them, but this is probably the lower limit for public performance.

Thank you all for your replies and I was weighing the cost and how much I would use them at them moment is very low so I will be running cables for now. I have a old drum that was an extension will put some coax on it which will help getting out.

Cables take longer to run in than take out.

Careful planning might allow you to disconnect and draw back cables without interfering with the punters? Worst case leads can be cheap and leave one in situ as a sacrificial ? Or go back later

Careful planning might allow you to disconnect and draw back cables without interfering with the punters? Worst case leads can be cheap and leave one in situ as a sacrificial ? Or go back later

Thats one reason I would have some coax on a drum so I can roll it up quick and also help to keep kinks out of it. Yes the coax is cheap when you can buy wholesale well the RG59 on a 100 meter roll is for sure it the bnc ends that are not cheap.

Crimp BNC connectors are less thN 50p each?

Depends if you have the tool though.

I do have the tool and they cost me just under a euro here in Ireland and thats when I buy a 100 of them and thats from local electrical wholesalers to me and I do buy a good bit from them. I have shopped around here.

Where are you getting them for that, if you do not what to post where that grand.

Get yourself a box of cat5 and some screw terminal balun's for the really tricky get outs. It's that cheap you can just cut the ends off and leave the cable behind.

Others have covered it, but of all the good reasons to use wireless connections, having a quicker get out isn't one of them. Every minute you save on the get out would be replaced with at least ten during the build / show where it doesn't work properly/reliably.

The issue with RF is that you get the set up done and get it to work, THEN the punters come in each one of them is active on 2.4gig or other wifi or data frequencies and all your data has to share with the thousand guests and generally video being most demanding is the first to go down

Archived