Powering an effects rack

crox

I chose to offer some help to our tech team by re-wiring their effects rack, and was a little bit shocked by what I found in terms of the power.

They had 4 x 4 gang extensions running off one 13a socket.

I was thinking that there must be a better way, but I need to do it as cost effectively as possible. For our computers at work, we use USP's with all the desktops and screens running through IEC C13 cables, but some of the kit are standard IEC C13, but others have their own transformers, so there will still be the need for some sort of sockets. Are there suitable USP's for audio kit, or some sort of power distro which gives a clean signal?

Personally I don't mind daisy chaining power. That's what fuses are for.

If you have good quality 4 ways rated at 13amp you can't do anything dangerous as long as you have a bit of common sense.

The key is working out your load on full pelt and ensuring that the bass doesn't pull you over and pop a fues mid show. I've had 30-40 things powered from a single 13amp supply before now, granted all low power.

If it's an fx rack with no power amps in it I doubt you'll trouble a single 13A plug and if you're bothered about daisy chaining just buy a multiway with more sockets (I have one with 10).

My entire rig (around 6kW audio power, 8 active boxes, plus a Mackie DL1608 desk) draws less than 4A from the mains and I have happily run it, plus backline for my trio and a couple of LED PAR cans from a 2000kVA genny. We don't use excessive sub bass (everything miked but just kick and bass guitar needing the low end) which is often where the power goes but the £200 ebay genny never broke sweat.

For medium sized racks of low powered items, an IT style rackmount distro is quite handy, I have used a couple in church projects.

I've got two surplus if they would be of use to you - brand new, 3U rack mount, 10x 13A socket, with main switch and neon, currently with 3m+ cable and 16A plug but could be reterminated to suit. £8 each plus postage, send me a PM if you want more details

I have no problem running a rack off a single 13A socket as long as it's only effects and not amps. I just had a look at some of my effects rack-type gear and various compressors and effects units were all well under 1 Amp each...most typically between 100 and 200mA.

I prefer to not daisy chain, if only for tidyness. If space is an issue, we used to use IEC sockets inside the rack, each bit of gear getting it's own IEC-IEC mains lead. The multiway blocks can hold a lot of sockets in a very small space--but at greater expense than standard domestic stuff obviously.

13a four way's are usually run on one to another! In some situations it's a problem but there are MANY situations where it's fine. Look at the load drawn by the items, look at the plugtop fuses. From the days of doing disco off a single 13a socket shared with the bar I had a 13a moving iron meter in a box in a cable for checking how much I was using and actually it was always a LOT less than you thought. I'd expect a pretty substantial outboard rack to draw less than 5A. I like lots of 13a plugs with the correct fuses because it means that a failed unit can blow it's own fuse without being on 20A with all the rest and causing the smoke to escape frightening the masses.

Proper rack mount 6 - 20 way 13a socket strips are easily available but having 20 13a sockets as a single block is no better than having 20 13a sockets from four ways, just LOTS more expensive.

Archived