Video feed to Church Nursery

crox

We have been in at our current venue as a church for 18 months. When we moved in, the venue installed a Cat5 cable running from a potential camera site to the room where the Nursery is held. We ran a simple camera into a TV and it worked to a point - video and audio were only ok.

We have had 9 months out of the main hall due to flooding, and are moving back in shortly. I have an opportunity to upgrade the video feed in quality of video and audio, but outside of my comfort zone. I don't have a budget to play with as such, but need to be sensitive.

Any thoughts appreciated.

The Cat cable is already installed, so we are sort of tied into that, but I guess the cable length is 30m, but as it is a permanent install. We already run video over HDMI for our dual projectors, and it takes two CAT5 cables.

The existing setup IS Composite over balun.

I meant to type. 2 x cat 5 but guess you figured that!You can run hdsdi over one cable but by the time that you buy the hdmi to sdi boxes and baluns it would be cheaper to run another cable

Only thing that I can suggest is to temporarily try different cameras and TVs just in case one is better as comp over cat 5 isn't brilliant but probably ok.

You can do HDMI over cat5 on one cable. We've just bought some transmitter/reciever pairs that seem to work nicely. They can even sit in a proper "network" and be routed through network switches etc. pretty cool as it means you can add in extra receivers on the same network and show the same image on multiple screens.

You can do HDMI over cat5 on one cable. We've just bought some transmitter/reciever pairs that seem to work nicely. They can even sit in a proper "network" and be routed through network switches etc. pretty cool as it means you can add in extra receivers on the same network and show the same image on multiple screens.

Interesting ... what transmitter etc do you use?

If running from a camera, and taking audio as a feed from desk, where do people add the audio to the video, do the HD cameras have an audio in line, or do the HDMI-Cat 5 boxes do it, or run audio separately to the screen then combine? I assume a simgle channeld elay unit may be needed due to latency on video?

Hdbase-t either full or lite is point to point hdmi with no latency. Only difference being range and full offers ethernet. Will carry audio and full hd video over a single cat5.

As far as I know all the hdmi over ethernet all introduce latency

Cypress technology (cyp) do audio embedders and de embedders for hdmi. Great Little fix it boxes

Interesting ... what transmitter etc do you use?

These:

http://www.exprodirect.com/product.php?productid=41543&cat=8986&bestseller=Y

As above two types of HD over single CAT solutions to consider:

HDBT – full uncompressed Video + Audio, can also include 10/100 Ethernet, IR, RS232 and power. Ours are the 'Lite' version so no 10/100 and max cable length of 70m.

http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI_extender_HD70STPEX.html

HD over LAN – compressed Video + Audio, the compression varies as you add network traffic. Where no Network traffic the image holds up very well, though as pointed out does have a slight processing delay. No power over cable with this option.

http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI_extender_LAN_HDDSX.html

Joe

We just swapped a show relay camera from a Canon DM-XM1 source to a cheapish Screwfix CCTV camera (as we lost the remote for the Canon and needed a temp solution) and the improvement just from being a modern camera is vast, so depending on what your current setup is (still no details on camera) upgrading to HDMI etc may be overkill - composite over Cat5 Balun might be okay for this depending on what is currently the weak point of the setup.

Archived