Rigging truss onto winch up's

Ashley R

Hi BR

A little bit of a mundane topic, but sometimes someone out there has thought of a better way!

Anyway, just looking for how you go about getting a 9 or 12m stock of truss (Say Global F33 or 34, or really any truss) up onto a pair of 3m tall winch up's (wound down about 1.8m tall) .

at the moment we normally build the truss, then lift one end, get it on top of the stand adaptor/truss yoke/adaptor, then get a case, chair or pair of steps if handy to lift the other end up.

Its mainly the 2nd bit of lifting the other end of the truss, is normally a little awkward.

On the powerdrive truss stand adapator thingies we use the spigot that goes into the stand pivots.put em on the truss first,put one end into the stand,leaving the other on the floor,wander downt'other end and lift in into the stand,I can easily put up an 8M length on my own

These are the buggers

http://mypowerdrive.com/php/assets/Powerdrive_REF_69_Truss_Mounting-225x300.jpg

Am I missing something here? Isn't global f33 pretty light, reasonably sure 12 meters would be sub 60Kg so a pretty easy 2 man lift.

edit: superlifts would definitely be a bit OTT to lift a length of truss to 1.8 meters.. and they are bloody heavy.

edit: superlifts would definitely be a bit OTT to lift a length of truss to 1.8 meters.. and they are bloody heavy.

Pretty sure the implication was you'd use the superlifts to go to trim instead of the stands rather than up onto the stands.

The Winch Up's that we are using are these

http://www.clsa.com.au/manufacture/Stands/stands1.pdf

The adaptors are the TR44

http://www.clsa.com.au/manufacture/Stands/stands4.pdf

I ask this, as chairs and tipped over flight cases are not really work platforms, but then neither is a step ladder as far as I am aware. So I am a bit stuck on how on earth do I get this stick of truss up the what appears to be almost 2m up onto the stand.

I ask this, as chairs and tipped over flight cases are not really work platforms, but then neither is a step ladder as far as I am aware. So I am a bit stuck on how on earth do I get this stick of truss up the what appears to be almost 2m up onto the stand.

Use people who are 6' tall to lift it up?

I've never seen people struggling with the height to lift a bit of box / triangle truss onto lift up stands. It's only just above head height. I've never seen people climbing flightcases, chairs or ladders to do this.

It is a fairly strange request, the whole point of wind ups is to not have to work at height at all. Maybe your wind ups are a bit on the big side? Normal manfrottos go very high but are much less than 1.8m when collapsed. Are you sure you're using them correcty, maybe there is a locking pin to take them down a stage further, etc?

If you look at the document the OP linked to they are indeed particularly high when "down". Looks like a single action winch with no telescoping. Still within reach of a pair of tall blokes, but running cable on top of the truss might be interesting, you'll also get tired arms tying on cloths! Might be worth trading in/trading up for some different stands.

A "low tech" way to do it, might be to have another of those adapters with a 1m(ish) handle on it.

Should allow you to lift it on to the stand without stretching.

Just a thought... but very low tech.

Archived