Rigging truss onto winch up's

Ashley R

flight cases are not really work platforms,

Do you have a suitable sized flight case that always goes out with this kit? Looking at various bits of kit that are sold as (low level) work platforms, many flight cases are probably just as good or better (not on their wheels though). Maybe just add some rubber feet to the bottom...

wouldn't making some kind of pole set that trigger clamped on to the truss and "hung down" be a solution? Rest the truss between the flight cases, add the poles and then you lift the truss while staying on the ground and slot it into the stands?

Remove the poles and winch up?

maybe not explained too well but hopefully you understand what I mean?

Even a cheap set of speaker stands from CPC might allow an intermediate lift to take place?

Rather than spending time/money on gadgets and bodges to make the wrong equipment usable, would it not make much more sense to just get the right sort of wind-up stands - ie something that comes down low enough for this to be an easy job and also making it much easier to rig everything on to the goalpost once it's up?

I'd also be concerned that the stands you are using are right at the limits of their capacity - you've got a MAXIMUM of 200kg lift (in optimum conditions), f33 has a published self-weight of 9kg/m so on a 12m run that's 108kg gone straight away. Allow a couple of kg for the adapter brackets and you've only got a maximum of 90kg actual lantern/cable rigging capacity; That's 3 brand-name moving lights and associated cabling to take you to your absolute limit...

You really need to be looking at getting a different wind-up stand.

I am with Tom, it does sound like it is not the right gear for the job.

It may well be the only gear you have for the job, but that doesn't make it right...

Is this a 'one of' or a regular gig? If regular, do have a look at more suitable gear.

I was meerly using the lengths stated as an example, and normally for the longer spans, all it supports is a projection screen and some black drape.

the CLS 12' Winch Up's seem to be universally ( well across Victoria anyway) the most common winch up of this size in hire stocks.

Its almost always the same thing - stock of truss onto two winch up's, but what ends up on them is a different matter.

It still sounds like the answer to the problem is finding a different wind-up stand; I appreciate that might be the "standard" one everyone's using but that often occurs just because once a distributor got a pile of them they could sell really cheep rather than because everyone has decided it's the best tool for the job. I appreciate it's not nice having to buy new kit to replace existing functional kit but making the change now means you don't need to spend on the "bodged solution", every future install you do will be quicker and less hassle ('cause no-one works at top speed trying to rig with their arms over their heads) thus saving you money and you'll be able to choose something with a bit better loading capacity so that your system will be able to hold more and be more safe than the systems other companies use. My instinct says this is one of those situations where if you spend a few hundred bucks now (and heck, sell your old stands to someone else so you get some money back on them) you'll end up making that a dozen times over when your installs are quicker, you have less accidents and your kit can do more than your competitors?

Archived