Mounting bar

revbobuk

Don't quite know how to describe the piece of hardware I'm looking for. I need to mount just a pair of small fresnels FOH for a small stage, and I would think I've seen a bar that looks rather like a towel rail - curved back at both ends. If I'm making sense, or if anyone has a better suggestion, please educate me!

Sounds like a drop under bracket to allow you to hang a short bar lower than th

Sounds like a drop under bracket to allow you to hang a short bar lower than the fixed rig. Like a double ended long hook clamp? So two with a short bar does the trick

Do you mean for mounting the 48mm bar to the wall?

If so you could usually use Doughty stand-off wall brackets:

http://www.doughty-engineering.co.uk/shop/images/products/t33310.jpg

Or if you wanted it to be a bit neater, you could have a 48mm piece of bar rolled into the curved sections and mount it with a couple of key clamp saddles:

http://www.fisheralvin.com/product-images/A12_image_1.jpg

This wouldn't be rated though - you'd be best drilling through the clamps and replacing the grub screws with full bolts, and then you'd have to assess it to make sure it was strong enough for your load.

I'm not sure if I've pictured what you're trying to do correctly, or if the other suggestions are closer to the mark.

Or if you wanted it to be a bit neater, you could have a 48mm piece of bar rolled into the curved sections and mount it with a couple of key clamp saddles:

http://www.fisheralvin.com/product-images/A12_image_1.jpg

This wouldn't be rated though - you'd be best drilling through the clamps and replacing the grub screws with full bolts, and then you'd have to assess it to make sure it was strong enough for your load.

The problem with those is not so much the 'rating' thing, but that they're designed to be pushed on not pulled on. They're really for use in things like handrails, either as bases for vertical supports, or to fix a horizontal rail to a wall. But in any case, the load is pushed onto the fixture, not pulled away from it.

I agree the full bolt going right through and out the other side would help somewhat, but I think the Doughty option is a better one. You could of course just use a doughty half coupler and bolt it straight to the ceiling, maybe through a 12mm ply block just to get the clearance to get the lantern's hooks on it.

http://www.doughty-engineering.co.uk/shop/images/products/t57120.jpg

Invert that and bolt it straight in with a long bolt.

You could of course just use a doughty half coupler and bolt it straight to the ceiling, maybe through a 12mm ply block just to get the clearance to get the lantern's hooks on it.

<photo snipped>

Invert that and bolt it straight in with a long bolt.

A tad untidy and expensive for a permanent installation, imo, but the main problem with that is that the clamp is designed to hold the head of a bolt/screw captive so it would only be feasible where a long bolt emerges somewhere that a nut can be tightened from the other side.

All of the replies thus far have suggested ways to mount a bar to hang the lantern(s) on with a hook clamp. If the OP is only interested in installing these two fresnels in a fixed position there may actually be no need for a bar at all. It might be a better option to mount each lantern yoke directly on a bracket like this.

A tad untidy and expensive for a permanent installation, imo, but the main problem with that is that the clamp is designed to hold the head of a bolt/screw captive so it would only be feasible where a long bolt emerges somewhere that a nut can be tightened from the other side.

Aye that's what I had in mind. Of course if you don't have access to the space then yes that plan sucks!

Ah. No - I hadn't explained myself clearly enough. What I thought I had seen was a length of the 48mm pipe, mounted vertically, with both the ends of the pipe bent round through 90 degrees, and then mounted with something like the keyclamp saddles Tom describes. I have a wall, not a ceiling, to attach to. It's either this or a couple of brackets, one for each fixture, and I thought this looked neater. Don't know if I can link to it, but http://www.stagelighting.co.uk/files/imagecache/large/Kit1.jpg is what I mean.

I should say - I found where I had seen it. Stagelighting.co.uk say they don't sell it on its own, and it's their own custom design. Which is fair enough, and I'm getting a quote from them for what I want. But does it exist anywhere else?

Actually, I'd say that the stand-off brackets that Tom posted in #5 above would suita better than Kee Clamps.

http://www.doughty-engineering.co.uk/shop/images/products/t33310.jpg

Most local engineering firms could make a curved bar like that fairly easily. They tend to be more economic than you might think.

And hopefully give them a safety loading rating? Thats the beauty of Doughty or any other stage manufacturer. Then can rate their equipment as it presumabaly has had an example tested to destruction. Your average local fabricator is hardly going to make a one off and destry one to test!

Most local engineering firms could make a curved bar like that fairly easily. They tend to be more economic than you might think.

^^ This.

There are loads of little engineering firms who could make this up in steel (and loads more firms dotted about who could then powder coat it for you for a really tidy finish).

I don't really like the curved bar for a vertical boom personally - it stands out further from the wall than necessary (unless the sight-lines demand it). The one pictured with 4 Pars on it doesn't look particularly tidy to me.

I think my preference would be to combine a short length of tube with a couple of these railing support brackets and a couple of these boom arms. I think that bracket gives sufficient clearance behind the bar for the boom arm with about 1/2" to spare, but you'd be wise to double check.

Then can rate their equipment as it presumabaly has had an example tested to destruction.

Its more likely that it's been "proved by calculation" than destruction tested I would think.

The load is relatively trivial, unless its made of cream cheese or the quality of the weld is *appalling* the fixings holding it on the wall will probably be the weakest link in any case.

Archived