Mounting bar

revbobuk

Recently had a similar church based problem of mounting a single (White) Fresnel per side on a vertical wall surface. After looking at all the types of methods discussed in the previous posts went in the end for wall mount truss brackets. Which although probably way too much in your scenario also provide the oppoptunity to fit a piece af truss across them when more lights were required. To me shiny sliver truss looks slightly better than doughty tube & coupler/bracket arrangements, well to me anyway (nothing wrong in a theatre situation mind). I did happen to get quite a discount on them at the time mind you. These are them.

If you ask the same engineering company to put a load rating on it, they will - they do this kind of thing all the time - and usually know they are talking in tons,so they are quite happy telling you 100Kg - there's no testing involved, just their knowledge.

I would simply get 2 x L brackets made, or 1 and hang 1 fresnel above at and 1 below it. I had 20 made out of about 8mm thick steel bar - they were bent at 90 degrees and even had the correctly sized holes drilled where I had asked them to be drilled. They cost me £120.00 I think. I could have had them powder coated, but I decided to save money and spray them myself.

If you think about the weight of Plasma TV's being mounted on articulated brackets that stick out of the wall by 2ft, your 2 fresnels weigh so little - it shouldn't be a worry - that is assuming that you are not hanging a 10K or 20K! - even a 5K is less than 20KG! I was an electrical contractor for years - and common sense was used when weight loading was in question - if you can hang off it (it holds your weight), a 10KG fresnel can hang off it all day!

Its the fixing into the wall that is really important - and what the wall is made out of - I could be brick or thermolite - or Plasterboard?

The reason I'm going to go with the vertical bar is aesthetic - this is a multi-use hall, and when there's nothing booked that needs the lights, they'll come down in order to protect them from a stray football. When there's no fixture on them, a simple bar fitted close to the wall looks a lot neater than an angle bracket sticking out.

The strength of the wall mount isn't an issue, really. Two fresnels isn't much of a load, and the wall is brick, not block.

Archived