Strand 500 series OLE

blzbug

Hello,

I managed to run it fine on my Dell machine, however it seems to have a few oddities:

Floppy drive is recognised by freeDos as B:, but the OLE can't see it, it can see an E: drive though, which is one of my other drives in the machine so I assume it is because of that.

When I loaded the show it appeared not to have installed any groups or fixtures. However I had cancelled the net and help installs (only doing CI) so it could have been because of that, or the floppy thing I dunno.

Have had a go at running this throgh Bochs to try to run within windows, but that doesn't work sadly :(

Richard

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your comments - its appreciated! In answer to some of the points you raise;

The OLE itself doesn't seem to support loading/saving shows from a "B:" drive, so you won't see a "B:" drive in the archive menu.

For this reason, the script which runs prior to launching the OLE offers to copy show files from a floppy disk to the shows directory on the ramdisk (c:\shows - for most people, but see below*). When you quit the OLE (Ctrl+X, F2, F2) it offers to copy them back to floppy for permanent storage.

[EDIT: If you aborted the Networker or Help installs this may not have happened.]

*For most people with NTFS formatted hard drives (ie NT4, Win2K/Win2K3 or XP users), under the boot CD their drive assignments will be:

A: - Emulated FreeDOS boot disk (1.44MB ramdisk, loaded from CD)

B: - Real floppy disk

C: - OLE Ramdisk & shows (16MB)

D: - CD-ROM drive

MSDOS & FreeDOS cannot read NTFS, so your normal "C:" is inaccessible. However, if you have FAT partition(s) on your hard disk, FreeDOS *will* see these, as "C:" onwards.

Eg: In the case of one FAT partition it will be "C:", the OLE ramdisk "D:" & the CD-ROM "E:". The installation script detects this and asks you to install the OLE to

d:\geniusp & shows to d:\shows. Is this what happened in your case, or is "E:" something else (Zip disk possibly???)

When I loaded the show it appeared not to have installed any groups or fixtures. However I had cancelled the net and help installs (only doing CI) so it could have been because of that, or the floppy thing I dunno.

Ok - this is more of a worry. Can you try again, but do install the networker & help packages as I believe networker contains the fixture library. Strand's website now says all consoles should install CN, even non-networked ones.

Have had a go at running this throgh Bochs to try to run within windows, but that doesn't work sadly :(

I have to say that I'm not familiar with Bochs. Does it support booting from CD?

Regards,

Marc

Hello

Will try not being so lazy!!

Bochs does support CD booting ( look at url) and I managed to install everything fine and happily - it created the ram disk etc. However the problem appeared to be that when you execute geniusp it tries to start but then falls over. I assume it uses some clever disk access stuff or something. Oddly windows XP etc will run under Bochs OK.

I have tried this on my PC and on my Mac (OS X), but I am going to experiment with some more bios images...

Is there a reason why the Ram disk that free-dos uses could not be run from an image - so removing the need for re-installs each time I wonder?

I will have a play myself tonight.

Richard

• 1 month later...
Is there a OLE for the 520? I can only find the 550, 430 and 300 on the strand site.

It's all the same thing. All the 500-series desks run exactly the same software.

Also Is the OLE like a simiulator in that you can "learn" the desk without a real one being there.

Some are more of a 'simulator' than others. If you look at something like the Pearl 2004 simulator, it's as close to a real console as you can get without actually having one - a graphical representation of the panel on your screen, and you move faders and clilck buttons with your mouse.

The GeniusPro OLE isn't like that, though - it's just a version of the console OS that runs on a standard PC, and you have to use the standard console keyboard shortcuts to operate it.

Also be aware of the Windows XP issues which are documented in great depth (along with a couple of workarounds) earlier in this very topic and elsewhere on this forum.

The 520, 530 and 550 run the same software. The only operational differences are the number of subs and macro buttons (and some rearrangement of the control surface). So the 550 OLE is the 520 OLE.

The 300 software is also very similar.

The 430 isn't made anymore. But it ran the same software too, at the time.

Your second question is open to interpretation. You can learn the software, but you'll need a proper control surface before you learn the desk for real.

EDIT: That's twice today, Gareth! :P :unsure: <_<

:D Top marks to Marc for the bootable disc... it worked a treat, the only thing I have an issue with is forgetting the CD is in the drive when I switch it off, and ending up getting confused as to why I am not in XP when I switch back on later on.... although its a good ploy to keep your pesky flatmates of the computer. :P

bless them... they still havent worked it out yet, one has even offered to take it to the computer repair shop. ** laughs out loud **.

Nip Nip :)

Does any one have a copy of this I could have, havent had any luck getting a reply form MarcT.

Sorry - was busy with a show last week...! :)

EDIT: PMs sent, should now be up to date. Let me know if you're still waiting...

Marc

Great Forum. What a Find!

Marc I would love to get a copy of that ISO. We have a 520I and a 320I at our house. I was just about to format my laptop (XP) to install a 98/XP FAT32 dual boot for the OLE when I discovered this thread.

I'll PM you with my email address for the ISO info.

Questions:

Do I boot to the ISO? So in essence is the OLE an operating system running on the CD rom?

If I continue with my current plans and install the OLE in win98, can I boot to 98 and run the OLE in a window? -If it's possible, I may still go with win98 for ease of use.

Ideas, insights? anyone?

Thanks

Questions:

Do I boot to the ISO? So in essence is the OLE an operating system running on the CD rom?

If you use Marc's rather excellent implementation of the GeniusPro OLE, it's in the form of a bootable CD-ROM. You stick this in your drive, make sure your BIOS is set so that CD is before HDD in the boot order, and reboot. It boots into a version of DOS (can't remember which one!) and runs the OLE from a ramdisk. The only drawback is that you can't directly access show files which live on your hard drive - you have to copy them to a floppy first. Although I seem to remember Marc saying something about adding support for USB sticks ....

If I continue with my current plans and install the OLE in win98, can I boot to 98 and run the OLE in a window? -If it's possible, I may still go with win98 for ease of use.

The OLE as you download it from Strand will run happily enough under W98, in a DOS window. It's only XP that it has trouble with.

We have a 520I and a 320I at our house.

320I?! :blink: ;)

Archived