Strand 500 series OLE

blzbug

I'm not ignoring him. I've never seen him on-line plus three of my mates would like his bootable CD that will run the OLE on their computer too.

If you look back in this thread you'll see that I asked about the download link after PMing Marc. Marc had not picked up the message and I had to be patient until he visited the board again. Once he did he supplied the link, I down loaded the software and it works like a charm.

Marc also provided addition help and advice to me - thanks to him for his efforts in making it possible to run the OLE on a machine which is normally XP

Have patience and ye shall be rewarded :angry:

Once you have downloaded the software you could burn more than one CD so that your mates have their own versions.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, I suppose he must be busy. I don't know. Please try to bear in mind that Marc's generous offer to distribute his CD image to BR users is not in any way an official BR service - it's something which he very kindly elected to do off his own bat. As such, I don't think anyone's got too much to moan about if they have to wait a few weeks for him to find some time to get around to dealing with the requests he's received (of which I'd imagine there are quite a few!). Maybe he's waiting until Christmas and giving them as seasonal gifts! :angry:

Not that I expect anyone will read this......

If you PM Marc between 6 - 12th Nov - you probably won't get a response because he's working on a show for me, and my need is greater ;) :nerd: :mods:

If only we could get it to work on my *&^%$£^& laptop :)

• 3 weeks later...
...cant work out how to make the wheels work.

The wheel is represented by the Home/End keys.

You can get the submasters onto the wheel (ie the home/end keys) using ALT F1 to F12 for subs 1 to 12. ALT-V will change this function to the Submasters 13 to 24 etc.

Somewhere in the Strand manual there is a cheat sheet of the keyboard mapping.

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone interested, I just made a qemu image which uses freedos and runs strands OLE and can access floppy disks etc.

You can get qemu from Free OS Zoo and get the image file from here. The download file is 4.5mb (roughly) however it is a 100mb image file, so it is relatively big. Most of that is free space though.

Basically, to run it under windows, run the strandole.exe file after installing qemu and set the path to where you installed qemu. Then run the qemumenu program and choose freedos. The strand application starts up automatically.

qEmu can also run on PPC (ie OSX) and linux/unix/bsd. To extract the image file on one of those os's, it is just an SFX rar archive, and can be uncompressed using unrar or the tool of your choice.

• 2 weeks later...
For anyone interested, I just made a qemu image which uses freedos and runs strands OLE and can access floppy disks etc.

You are a genius (Genius Pro?). Nice one - it works fine on my XP machine. You do have to wonder why Strand can't get their ar$e in gear and do this for us when most other manufacturers out there have loverly GUI emulators etc. but hey ho.

Hey. have just downloaded all that stuff. My laptop seems to hang when I try and run freedos though. any idea why?

Cheers

Hey. have just downloaded all that stuff. My laptop seems to hang when I try and run freedos though. any idea why?

Cheers

The FreeDos and qEMU applications, along with my compilation are provided under the GNU General Public License Agreement. READ HERE, and as such are provided without waranty, HOWEVER: if qEMU is hanging, I suggest you go to The qEMU site and browse their documentation and support sections.

:)

Mac

• 2 weeks later...
qEmu can also run on PPC (ie OSX) and linux/unix/bsd. To extract the image file on one of those os's, it is just an SFX rar archive, and can be uncompressed using unrar or the tool of your choice.

Hi,

Has anyone tried this on a Mac yet? I'm running 10.4 and am having difficulties in UnRar(ing) the file. I have downloaded the OSX software for UnRar(ing) but it at the moment it is only capable of extracting it by using 'Terminal.' I'm not too good with Terminal and therefore am unable to extract the file. Unfotunately the Help File which comes with UnRar isn't very helpful to a Terminal novice.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Andrew :)

Archived