Strand 500 series OLE

blzbug

hi guys.

Im gonna shoot myself soon... Damn strand and the unability to do anything useful...

Anyways, I am trying to use QEMU and DOSbox and cannot get the offline editor to run in either. In dosbox, it still brings up the TNT. error.

Im obviuolsy a dunce at tis. Does anybody have a step by step idiots guide I could take a peek at?

Cheers Guys

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyways, I am trying to use QEMU and DOSbox and cannot get the offline editor to run in either. In dosbox, it still brings up the TNT. error.

Re qEmu - what errors do you get? or does it just lock up or something. To be able to advise, more information is needed. Check out the qEmu website (I linked to it earlier) as they have some helpfull how-to's. Also, as qEmu was/is a big thing in the linux community, :unsure: is your friend, the articles are out there, you just need to search.

Sam, here you go:

Download Mac.Calders disk image. It appears to be a PC-only .exe, but don't worry about that. Just put it on your desktop.

Then go and get Qemu from Free OS Zoo and install it. You want QemuX - nice friendly user interface.

Then go and get UnRarX and install that.

Open UnRarX and drag the .exe file into it. It'll decompress into a .dsk file.

Open QemuX, let it do it's thing and when it's ready create a new PC choose "Use Preconfigured Image"

Choose the freedos.dsk file as the image. Run the PC. It appears to hang for ages when you first start it. Don't panic, just let it be. And don't put the machine on your lap either, as it pegs the CPU at 70-80%. If you "lose" your mouse pointer while using it, just press ctrl and alt together to get it back.

I am experiencing some problems with the virtual console insisting on running 220clean all the bloody time, but hopefully I'll be able to resolve it.

Hope this helps. Works great on my Powerbook 1.33ghz, 10.4.3. I can run iTunes, Omniweb, MSN and the OLE with no noticeable slowdown.

OK, I still can't figure this out on the PC and I've been at it all afternoon now. Can someone please post an idiot's step-by-step guide to an XP install?

I've downloaded qemu and set it to freedos, the strand image file, the strand software suite. Extracted all that and installed the OLE. I still can't get it working.

OK, I still can't figure this out on the PC and I've been at it all afternoon now. Can someone please post an idiot's step-by-step guide to an XP install?

I've downloaded qemu and set it to freedos, the strand image file, the strand software suite. Extracted all that and installed the OLE. I still can't get it working.

1) Download Qemu

2) Install Qemu (and dont download any OS images)

3) Download Mac's Magic File

4) unRAR it into the directory you installed Qemu into (e.g. "C:\Program Files\Qemu")

5) Run 'Qemumenu' in that directory, and select "[1]FreeDOS"

Worked for me :)

OK, I still can't figure this out on the PC and I've been at it all afternoon now...

You do not need to install anything. The .exe file will extract a .dsk file, which goes in the root of the qemu installation directory (by default, c:\program files\qemu). When you boot the freedos image file under qEmu (when I get arround to it I will update the image file and name it properly instead of freedos) you will be automatically booted into the strand genius pro OLE. It is all in the autoexec.bat file. If things screw up, boot and keep hitting control-c and you SHOULD get to a C:\> prompt and it is installed in \geniuspro IIRC or \genius.

The sole reason it is an EXE download is that most windows users are perfectly happy to stick with Zip even though there are better compression algorythms out there, so I made it self extracting, unrar is free, so mac and linux users can just drop the exe on it and it does not care that it has a small bit of executable code in it.

Thanks guys - I'd made a ####-up installing qemu by mis-spelling the directory name, so the image file wasn't in the same place as qemu....d'oh! All works a treat now. :biggrin:

This really will have a big impact on my life, as it means I can now upgrade the wife's computer to XP... a nice extra Xmas pressy! Thanks again to those who put the work in on this.

I've got it all runnning on my powerbook, only question I have is is there an easy way to load files into the OLE that are already on my hard-drive, otherwise I think I will have to get an external floppy and use that, which is boring!

Archived