Olympic Acomodation

AndyJones

Hello Guys,

I was wondering who here is working on the Olympic site, either during the fit up, or actual Olympic run? I was wondering what you had planned to do in regards to Accommodation, and getting to site. As far as I can tell no accommodation has been set aside for any crew members, and there is absolutely no parking onsite. I'm thinking of maybe finding a place to rent that's an easy commute on the east side of London- that may be easier said than done!

Regards,

AndyJones

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cycle?

If that's not an option have a look at this map http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/london-rail-and-tube-services-map.pdf which also shows train services into Stratford, the tube will probably be busiest but some of the Overground or National Rail services may be a little quieter.

Certain areas are popular with students in term time, but they will be available for sub lets over the summer. So that may be an option.

Can't speak for London specifically but I've been using Gumtree to look for short-term lets; may be of use to you.

http://www.gumtree.com/

I know that broadcast personnel will be getting free transport on the TFL network as well as some dedicated crew shuttle buses but don't know if there's any similar provisions for other crew/personnel.

I'm told security can be a bit of a nightmare so you will need to factor that into your journey times (can take up to four hours on the 1st day to get through apparently). Parking is probably not that much of an advantage since I've heard stories of people having their headlights etc. taken out for searches.

Surely it depends on where you are working. As far as I know all working on site wil be accredited. Those working offsite but within sight dont need a pass. As to getting there I guess whatever you do you will have to park away and PT in the last part of the journey

Don't guess folks.

As Ben says the companies with heads screwed on have already arranged transport and accommodation, most since last year. Don't think about driving into any of the Five Boroughs, they have told residents that some will need to move their cars and there are temporary CPZ's being enforced. Be careful about paying in advance for accommodation that does not exist. It may not, the scams already do. If using public transport do remember what the boss of TfL said and "Go down the pub" rather than travel at peak times. Do NOT listen to Boris, he said to use the Zil lanes and LOCOG insist that even drifting into one will result in an automatic £200 fine.

Basically if offered a job at the Games the first question should not be "how much" but "where will I be staying". How much is already covered by the phrase, "loadsandloadsamoney."

Andy, ask these questions of the people employing you, it will depend entirely on what if anything they have arranged for you. If they say that you are on your own then you can make your decisions based on that and work from there. Unless you have the necessary documentation you won't be working there anyway.

they have told residents that some will need to move their cars and there are temporary CPZ's being enforced.

so a council tax payer,who pays for a residents parking permit cant park ,and unless your a free-loader with your tax exempt limo you cant use the whole road all becuase of some tin pot sports day

, the tube will probably be busiest but some of the Overground or National Rail services may be a little quieter.

National Rail through Stratford are jammed to the doors at rush hour on a normal weekday, and pretty full all day, right up to close of play. With the Olympics, I'm sure they'll be worse still. I'm seriously considering going abroad for the duration, as my normal commute takes me through Stratford every day,

My friend is doing some of the live audio stuff, and he lives on a narrowboat, and he's bringing it down and has booked a mooring not too far away. He reports very average money on offer, and little for travel - so if you don't have cheap accommodation, you'll make very little!

My friend is doing some of the live audio stuff, and he lives on a narrowboat, and he's bringing it down and has booked a mooring not too far away. He reports very average money on offer, and little for travel - so if you don't have cheap accommodation, you'll make very little!

Now there's a novel solution...Hire a narrowboat, work in the daytimes, have a holiday in the evenings! (or some variation on that depending on your hours!)

Sadly I'll stamp on the canal boat idea asap. There is an olympic exclusion zone being enforced on the canals nearby and you will need to know the exact details before you plan.

IMO a two hour commute would be reasonable to contemplate, If you have little to carry then an hours walk would be good.

Is there a consortium to rent a pub, almost all the pubs in Stratford, and Newham are closing -even the Irish pub has closed. - Just get 50 technicians sleeping inside!

Maybe the Blue Room could act as a contact point between forum members having space and needing space?

He had problems getting it, but he arranged it some time ago - however, the marina did need from him the names of people onboard - which he found a little strange, so maybe security is involved. Private and club airfields can't fly unless their perimeter is secure - so many of these are shutting up shop for the period.

Is there a consortium to rent a pub, almost all the pubs in Stratford, and Newham are closing -even the Irish pub has closed. - Just get 50 technicians sleeping inside!

Maybe the Blue Room could act as a contact point between forum members having space and needing space?

<Chuckles>

That would mean the landlord may have to empty the pumps before opening the doors to the tech brigades!

I'm very, very glad that I live a long way from Stratford. A "tin pot sports day" indeed, Hippy - but one which is going to cause massive hassle and inconvenience for thousands and thousands of people trying to go about their daily lives, and which the whole country is going to be paying for for a long time to come.

You cynic Gareth. Surely the London Olympics are about showing the rest of the world what's great about our wonderful capital city, our transport infrastructure, our political leadership..........oh, right.

Archived