X factor Coldplay Wristband Lighting

jameskerr87

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's a VERY simple, single channel, RF switched device (three LED's, a flash circuit and an on-off switch) and since they're using them on their current tour they must be getting thru half a million of them quite easily. At those sorts of quantities I'd be surprised if they cost more than 25c each to have made.

one of my colueages has one and being an electronic engineer has been pulling it apart! It has 6 LED's and 3 3V cells, there are plans to look at the chips more closely but that needs a microscope so will be happening some time later, I will try and find out and keep you informed.

It's a VERY simple, single channel, RF switched device (three LED's, a flash circuit and an on-off switch) and since they're using them on their current tour they must be getting thru half a million of them quite easily. At those sorts of quantities I'd be surprised if they cost more than 25c each to have made.

well the company that are making them, Coldplay brought shares in so I doubt it's even that high

My Coldplay contact tells me they will get though about 3 million of them on the tour and they are costing 60p-70p each at that volume. He is not a technician but confirmed they are radio frequency controlled and triggered by the lighting desk. Hopefully, he will get on the crew to give me some more info but they are a bit busy at the moment ;-)

Does anyone knows are those wristbands made exclusively for Coldplay ? I have inquiry from oversees LD - he would like to use them for his shows :) Can find phones or emails of RB Concepts on the net - anyone can help with this ? Thanks !

Correct me if I'm wrong but looking at the footage,to my eyes it looks like each band is one specific colour. If this is the case, presumably each band colour is controlled by a distinct RF frequency, enabling what looks like firing of different colours throughout the crowd. Again, assuming it's a Wifi type system it's a wonder it hasn't been done more but maybe it's more technical than a mere LD like me thinks.

It reminds me of a colour mixing session I did with a bunch of six years olds. They each had a gel and a torch pointed at the ceiling. Call for all the Blues to switch on, then call for the Greens.... Then yell "CHASE!!"

The next step would be to pixel map an auditorium full, although it wouldn't register for the crowd but look great from the followspot position.

Technically not too hard if you put the sources WITH the seats and didn't just hope that the punters sat where they said they would. What would happen if a daughter decided to on Mummy's lap at one point?

Dead pixel.

I was thinking about that the other day! I figured if you made a section of 5x5 (for example) seats to be one "pixel" then, yes, you'd reduce the available resolution, but you'd also reduce the impact of the odd mismatch. Can't wait for someone to try it out in the real world!

I did note somewhere on the web that the wrist thing has a number on the back, and that there are different numbers.

The choice of frequency would be interesting, as if they are touring globally with these things then something either license free or licence-able worldwide would be highly desirable; last thing you would think they would want would be the bad PR associated with the RF police busting them!

Archived