X factor Coldplay Wristband Lighting

jameskerr87

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/offtopic.gif

One can only imagine the havoc it would play.

Lets go RED! (1000 garage doors in the surrounding houses open)

Now GREEN! (another 1000 doors open)

- Now Cue thieves, as they run inside and grab whatever they can

http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

- Do crude Pixel Mapping combined with Camera's on stage facing the audience sending feeds to screens so that they can see what they are a part of http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Most radio car locking systems are 433MHz as well as garage doors The systems are all coded, there's not much chance of you hitting the same code.

If you need something to be legal worldwide you have only got 433MHz or 2.4GHz to work with, and you don't get very much range on 2.4GHz when using the max permitted power. Not to mention competing with all the permanently transmitting wifi points.

I've just returned from the gig in Berlin. And have shot some photos for you guys. There are 3 batteries in there. Under the metal-bar are programming contacts. Under the black blob is surely some ic. Maybe someone could figure out more with these pics.

BTW was a great concert, and a really nice idea. But they produce a lot of electronic waste with these things...

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/6156/p1010022kij.jpg

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/4615/p1010021pj.jpg

I know fully how they work :) as I created them :) So to answer few questions raised -- yes they are exsclusive Coldplay -- who own % the Patents and Design/IP rights.

We have been also developing next additions and versions -- watch this space -- There is a clever consumer version coming -- when we have sorted all IP and patent stuff we will get it out there !!

I've just returned from the gig in Berlin. And have shot some photos for you guys. There are 3 batteries in there. Under the metal-bar are programming contacts. Under the black blob is surely some ic. Maybe someone could figure out more with these pics.

BTW was a great concert, and a really nice idea. But they produce a lot of electronic waste with these things...

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/6156/p1010022kij.jpg

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/4615/p1010021pj.jpg

No waste as most Fans choose and want keep them !!!!! Very flattering you are all so keen to pull them apart

So you're not the only one watching it just for the lighting?

I think they're just wristbands that cycle 2 flashing patterns, looking at it. I doubt they'd have some sort of remote DMX system or sound activation, way too expensive I imagine. However, I have seen before a system which used the hearing induction to send a signal to battery operated handheld battens, but again it seems impracticable for Wembley arena.

Just my thoughts.

Ben.

Ben -- not right :)

I heard a rumor that this was an XL Video creation a few months back, they work really well, I also heard they were roughly under £5 to make each!

Not XL video I am afraid -- And not that expensive either :)

xyloband, very inspirational.

thank for clearing some stuff.

I've been prototyping my own "mass crowd pleasers" for a few months now :)

hope I can share in the near future.

all this patents talk make me wanna run to the hills

xyloband, very inspirational.

thank for clearing some stuff.

I've been prototyping my own "mass crowd pleasers" for a few months now :)

hope I can share in the near future.

all this patents talk make me wanna run to the hills

cool - you always protect your ideas :) good luck :)

• 3 months later...

Hey all,

I made it to my passion, to make these incredible Xylobands glow. And every day I discover new challanges :)

The processor on the board is (as you can read from the chip) an ATMega 48 PA

Link

The quartz receiver can be found in the pictures above on top of the X2 label.

Well, nothing special about those information at all yet, but I keep on learning ;)

At first I thought, the most interesting information would be, which frequency is used to light the Xylobands up...

...bad luck...it's much more complex than that - but otherwhise it would not be fun at all.

My current theorie looks like that

- The Atmel Processor receives '1' and '0' from the quartz-receiver (I know that it's a bit more complex than that ;) )

- If the right "code" or "packet" is submitted, the LEDs start to blink.

Also nothing special at all yet...

There are several 'mysteries' to untravel:

- The frequency used (read some rumors in the www about that)

- Is the communication syncronous or asyncronous (would guess asyncronous - but don't know)

- What kind of method for signal coding is used (f.e. manchaster or something else?)

- Is it possible to read data from the Atmel (I think, Jason Regler is a pro so this should be a waste of time... but I will try )

If anyone else has additional information I would be glad to know.

I'm far away from making those Xylobands glow - but every day I get a bit closer :D

BTW: Great job Mr. Regler! The Coldplay concert where I've been was the greatest lightshow I have ever seen!

you always protect your ideas :)

I am for shareing ideas. Allowing people to expand on what you create! Make it better. People just take take take and it's created a world run by money and greed and creates monopolys! [/rant]

Unless people just take take take and then sell, and make money off your intellectual property... ;)

Which unfortunately is how most of China works ... even Clay Paky commented in a recent video interview that the Sharpy is the "most pirated" fixture ever :(

There are several 'mysteries' to untravel:

- The frequency used (read some rumors in the www about that)

Just a thought but I'm guessing it's some license exempt frequency which should narrow it down a bit... otherwise I'm sure JFMG or Ofcom will have information on the licensed frequencies at the events they were used at.. alternatively turn up near the next gig that uses them with a frequency scanner ? ;)

Unless people just take take take and then sell, and make money off your intellectual property... ;)

Which unfortunately is how most of China works ... even Clay Paky commented in a recent video interview that the Sharpy is the "most pirated" fixture ever :(

And I reckon they are right, seeing so many chinese sellers advertising exact copies of Sharpy's, at least with Mac's they copied the outer shell, and then some copied the insides, some dident.

alternatively turn up near the next gig that uses them with a frequency scanner ? ;)

Yeah, its going to be a lot easier to figure out how to drive these things by analysing what is being transmitted. Starting from the wristband and working back seems nigh on impossible, or subject to very good luck.

Archived