X factor Coldplay Wristband Lighting

jameskerr87

well there's an Atmel processor and I'm sure there'll be a single module RF receiver solution on a standard open frequency, so to stop nuisance flashing there must be a code transmitted, which would also allow zoning if suitably coded wristbands were issued in specific areas of a crowd.

Didn't they do a wearable version of the Coaster-Call system which had drinks coasters that worked the exact same way?

Now if they final code sent to the units after the show let users take control over the wristband with a simple on/off button that would be more eco-friendly.

Ooh look! I like the lobster shaped restaurant pager. Especially the way they stack to charge.

Lobster pager.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi All,

Thought I would chime in here as I'm on the Coldplay MX tour and so have some actual (as opposed to speculations) info...

I won't go into detail as I'm not sure how much of the system is or isn't patented.

Essentially though, they are controlled by UHF RF transmissions. There are 2 versions: one for the EU and one for the US that operate in different bands.

They are more complicated than just on and off, and contain a few different commands and programs. They are controlled by an operator at FOH. A single transmitter drives the whole system, mounted on one of the delay towers. Its a custom designed system specifically for coldplay.

The bands are made in China in huge quantities (think millions). I'm not sure how much they cost exactly, but they aren't cheap...

The effect is fantastic though, and adds a whole new dimension to the lighting.

Cool stuff.

Chris

• 1 month later...

Archived