PLASA Meet & Greet

CharlieH

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going on the Wednesday, instead of the schools 'reward trip' to a theme park, I'm convincing them to let me go to PLASA!

Seriously?...

why?

Because who wants to go on boring old rides when you can look at stand after stand of cliched LED lights pointed in your face to make them look brighter, and pushed forcefully by technically clueless salesmen who are only interested in clinching some commission and couldn't care less about the consequences of you buying a load of dull, short-life fixtures for your venue or hire-stock.

I'll be going to PLASA to ask difficult and often awkward questions about the ill designed products and trying to find a stand with fresh products presented by technically literate individuals.

I'll also be playing "Spot the turd" amongst the more unimaginative companies who desperately wheeled out a completely pointless light just to try and have something "new" at the show. This could be an LED wash light that can display low resolution patterns, or it could be a very ordinary light with a small bit of video-wall stuck to the side. It might even be a light with an entire "media server" inside, that opens up all sorts of exciting possibilities of explosively uncontrollable optical-randomness during a show.

Another exciting game is "Spot the dead product.". Often notable by being unplugged in the middle of a group that are working. The salesmen will assure you it's off for display purposes, but if you promptly plug it in as soon as their back is turned, revealing it's defectiveness they get quite agitated.

And finally, who can resist "Spot the DED." Namely Dark Emitting Diodes. Last years show was surprisingly good for the LED to DED ratio. Previous years have been a veritable festival of crappy LEDs. I wonder how many companies bit the dust as a result of the early years of Chinese LED manufacture.

I'm going on the Wednesday, instead of the schools 'reward trip' to a theme park, I'm convincing them to let me go to PLASA!

Seriously?...

why?

Lots of LEDs

I prefer the noise equipment to be honest!

I'd prefer Alton Towers with my mates to be honest!

I'd like to come and meet you, and hand out a few Crewclass cards. My training day is aimed exactly at "young adults" who have done the book learning, and college stuff, but have yet to cut their teeth on paid cassie/local crew & junior tech jobs in the real world. I won't give you a hard sell, just turn up for 20 mins and say "hi". I could've just turned up but thought it polite to ask ! Have a look at www.crewclass.co.uk and let me know.

I'd like to come and meet you, and hand out a few Crewclass cards. My training day is aimed exactly at "young adults" who have done the book learning, and college stuff, but have yet to cut their teeth on paid cassie/local crew & junior tech jobs in the real world. I won't give you a hard sell, just turn up for 20 mins and say "hi". I could've just turned up but thought it polite to ask ! Have a look at www.crewclass.co.uk and let me know.

Sounds good to me.....your decision Tommulliner http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif

I am SURE there is a thing at PLASA about if you are not a exhibitor you cannot sell services.

Yup. It is the sort of thing that will get you thrown out of the hall. Much like plugging your business can here. <_<

I seem to remember this happened to a couple of people last year (one left a load of "used kit for sale" lists dotted around the hall + café!)

My understanding is it's fine if you take a few business cards and when chatting to people you give them one (be that an exhibitor or any random person you get talking to - made some good contacts that way) but it's quite another to go about actively handing out advertisements for your company.

PLASA can't stop you making individual acquaintances and proffering a business card, HOWEVER it soon becomes obvious when people start leafleting the place and you can expect to get picked up very quickly, and thrown out. Remember that ALL the stand holders have paid many thousands to be there and none will tolerate free-loaders marketing their services without paying for a stand.

Remember that this is an industry where people know people, Your tutor, manager, examiner and all your clients are on here so you can upset your future by upsetting people here -and not know who has what forum name connected to what real life place

I'd be careful young adults on meeting up, you are all probably 45 year old men grooming each other...

Don't know about the rest of you, but I can safely say that I am not a 45 year old Pedophile, and I simply like the idea of a Pizza http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

Do you think it's worth booking a table Tom, or shall we just turn up?

Archived