PLASA Meet & Greet

CharlieH

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Instead of bags of sweets, they'd have loads of free lanyards!

Or Crewclass business cards http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif

No, don't think we need to book a table tbh, but I may pop in first thing in the morning and warn them!

Instead of bags of sweets, they'd have loads of free lanyards!

Or Crewclass business cards http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif

The more I see of "Crewclass" the less comfortable I feel. Maybe I'm out of order here, and moderators, please point that out and pull my post. However, they do not seem to be associated with any recognised training bodies or established theatrical organisations. They do have a link to both SJP (a commercial organisation), and SMA, who make no mention of them in their links or recomended training organisations. Do any of Crewclass trainers have any recognised qualifications? Are they recognised by any training bodies? Are they insured? Will your £138 for a whole days training count for anything? I'm not being personal, but as someone with over 30 experience, who came through the NCDT system, who has completed much extensive training, and trained, this company makes me very uneasy.

The more I see of "Crewclass" the less comfortable I feel. Maybe I'm out of order here, and moderators, please point that out and pull my post. However, they do not seem to be associated with any recognised training bodies or established theatrical organisations. They do have a link to both SJP (a commercial organisation), and SMA, who make no mention of them in their links or recomended training organisations. Do any of Crewclass trainers have any recognised qualifications? Are they recognised by any training bodies? Are they insured? Will your £138 for a whole days training count for anything? I'm not being personal, but as someone with over 30 experience, who came through the NCDT system, who has completed much extensive training, and trained, this company makes me very uneasy.

I am of much the same opinion, and was also surprised to see a lack of accreditation with the training scheme. Is the course completion certificate worth the paper it's written on, and how many employers would accept the course as having a sufficient educational benefit?

Hang on - why be so quick to condemn a training course that appears to offer something.

Lack of accreditation? Who exactly are you suggesting should be able to accredit a training course in our area?

Many colleges who offer short courses print their own certificates, and they have no standing whatsoever, apart from proving you attended. There is no requirement whatsoever for short courses to be accredited by anyone. Anybody with surplus skills can transfer them to somebody who does not have them and charge for it. A basic principle of commerce. There are of course all sorts of bodies offering qualifications, and PLASA for one, have gone through lengthy approvals to be an authorised educational organisation who can offer qualifications that can attract funding. Plenty of the other certificate awarding organisations are well known, but the only accreditation is industry recognition - very often just something that has become popular, and respected. It doesn't make it 'approved' - and the usual test is seeing if it attracts Government education credits.

As for trainer qualifications - let's use the St John organisation who do many people's First Aid at Work certificates. Their trainers have their own internal training - few have medical qualfifications from outside bodies. They are competent to be able to train. That is all that is needed.

If a good friend of mine, who has a thriving business gets asked to run the ABTT courses - should we dismiss his training because he has no formal training qualification?

If a company or individual can effectively train individuals or groups and get payment for it - what is the problem?

I have no idea who crewclass is. The ONLY people who can criticise are those who have been on the course and found it lacking. If they received training they found worthwhile, I for one am not going to knock it on any basis whatsoever.

How many of us freelancers would turn down a days work leading a training course? If we know our stuff, let's share it and no get bogged down in accreditation - if a course is crap - then complain. If you come out of it better, that's good.

Just look in this very topic how many people are looking at going to the PLASA sessions - to get info and training in areas they are interested in. They come out with more than they went in. Does anyone actually care if the people doing the session have qualifications if they know their stuff?

Feel free to open a new topic (we may well split this soon) where problems with training providers can be aired - but please, lets attach a few facts to feelings.

As someone who is setting up a training company to teach the very basics of what we do based on my years of experience would just like to add to this. There is a need for the basic skills to be taught, there are plenty of courses which cover how to mix how to record how to program lights ect and these assume that the student knows what a jack plug is, what an IEC is the difference between a speaker cable and a mic cable ect when in fact many don't. There is a need for people who have actually done the job in a muddy field at midnight to pass on their experience so that new people coming into the industry can make an informed decision as to whether they wish to pursue this career. These people have valuable experience to pass on but no formal qualifictions short of experience, yet have no doubt trained numerous colleagues in what they do and how they do it.

With regards to qualifications and accreditation there is at present no course which covers a rock and roll gig or festival, the nearest is NCFE Award in Technical theatre and some Arts Awards for performance. We are working towards a course which will be event specific.

It says on the PLASA website "PLASA 2011 is a trade event and as such is open to trade visitors over 16 years of age.

Students over the age of 14 may attend if accompanied and registered by their tutor."

Just wondering how everyone (who is under 16, obviously...) is getting in?

It says on the PLASA website "PLASA 2011 is a trade event and as such is open to trade visitors over 16 years of age.

Students over the age of 14 may attend if accompanied and registered by their tutor."

Just wondering how everyone (who is under 16, obviously...) is getting in?

Thats strange, I'm only 19 now and have been going for at least 4 years, with this my 5th with no college or teachers note. I wonder how I got away with that one :P

So if I just turned up is it likely that I would get in? :/

So if I just turned up is it likely that I would get in? :/

Only if you ask twice ;)

But seriously, if you look younger than 16 they may ask you for some form of ID.

I'm of mixed opinions about Under 16s etc attending plasa - yes, it's a trade show and you're very unlikely to be buying anything but equally you're also the "next generation" who will be specifying and buying kit in the years to come and many manufacturers are quite happy to show the more down to earth younger people around their latest desks and other products ... I wouldn't travel for it but if you're in London anyway and have an interest in lighting / sound etc it's a reasonable way to pass an afternoon ;)

Archived