Tools

Hi,

I'm gradually improving my stock of tools for working and currently have an AJ, head torch, pair of ironclad framer gloves and some assorted screwdrivers. I would like to improve my stock of tools, so I was wondering what you would suggest to get between a quad-spanner or a podger?

Thanks,

Matthew

EDIT: I know I need a multi-tool as well, but I'm not in a position to buy one at the moment.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What do you do?

Personally as an LX, doing a bit of video and rigging, I'd feel lost without my quad, but if you do more carpentry work, or end up building scaffolding or heras say lots, then I'd choose a podger.

EDIT: And re the multitool, as long as you have a proper pz2 and a proper flatblade screwdriver, a Stanley knife, a pair of pliers and a pair of snips then there is no need to buy a jack-of-all-trades tool. Useful though they are, and yes my leatherman is in my chalkbag whenever I'm at work, I would actually say don't bother buying one as it doesn't do anything special, or even particularly well and will make you lazy about going to fetch proper tools.

In the world of Sheffield Students Union, I'm a lampy. If I was to go out into the real world, I'd become local crew for a time. I agree with you about multi-tools, but in the context of the work I currently do, I'd prefer to carry one tool, rather than many.

In the world of Sheffield Students Union, I'm a lampy. If I was to go out into the real world, I'd become local crew for a time. I agree with you about multi-tools, but in the context of the work I currently do, I'd prefer to carry one tool, rather than many.

I'm a secondary school student, and the other day I invested in a decent set of tools for myself. I already have a decent Gerber, and so I bought:

Needlenose Pliers

Snub-nosed Pliers

Wire Cutters

2 x AJs

Screwdriver (w. multi-bit thing)

Set of Precision Screwdrivers

2 x Quad Spanners

I mainly do lighting, sound and stage management, however end up doing a lot of rigging at school to. http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

I didn't explain properly: I think a multi-tool is better for me at the moment because my day often involves lectures followed by working events, and I'd prefer to carry one multi-tool rather than half a tool kit around.

I think I'm leaning towards a quad spanner and buying a podger when I get actual work at the moment...

Assuming you really do want to be local crew, then cash is better spent on really comfortable steelies, working gloves, working trousers and other personal and safety gear than Leathermen or almost any tools.

Good wet weather gear is a must and a Blue Room hoodie is warm enough for most evenings.

If you want to work in rock'n'roll then moulded earplugs are essentials and I prefer my own hard hat to using communal ones.

You really must get to grips with the hammer thing, though. 4 pound clubs are standard and I have a range of handle lengths, a 10 pound sledge for marquee pins and the ubiquitous claw hammer for staff attitude adjustment are the minimum requirements.

Thanks, Kerry, just a couple of points:

Assuming you really do want to be local crew

No, I have no real wish to be local crew, it's just that I realise that local crew is pretty much the first stage within the actual industry. I think the place I'd like to end up (if I do decide to work in this industry) is either as a programmer, something to do with power distribution or designing lighting desks.

cash is better spent on really comfortable steelies, working gloves, working trousers and other personal and safety gear

I have a pair of (albeit uncomfortable) steelies that will do for another couple of years. As mentioned in my first post, I have some decent 'Ironclad' 'Framer' gloves. They are really good gloves (and I probably go on about that too much at the SU!).

Good wet weather gear is a must and a Blue Room hoodie is warm enough for most evenings.

Nice sales patter :P

If you want to work in rock'n'roll then moulded earplugs are essentials.

Something I will bear in mind. We have standard issue ear-plugs from the SU which are ok, but I think I will be investing in some decent musician's plugs in the near future. Unfortunately, I had a hearing test last Thursday that came out with some horrendous results (natural loss- I was told that the loss was outside the range that noise related hearing loss causes losses in). I'm being re-tested on Tuesday, but if the results come out similar, I don't think I'll pursue a career in sound engineering.

I prefer my own hard hat to using communal ones.

We don't generally wear hard-hats in the SU, so that's near the bottom of my list- will a standard hard hat do, or should I go for, say, a helmet with a chin-strap so I can wear it while working at heights?

You really must get to grips with the hammer thing, though. 4 pound clubs are standard and I have a range of handle lengths, a 10 pound sledge for marquee pins and the ubiquitous claw hammer for staff attitude adjustment are the minimum requirements.

I will bear that in mind.

I have a pair of (albeit uncomfortable) steelies that will do for another couple of years.

Treat yourself to decent footwear. There is nothing worse than being on your feet for several days in bad shoes.

I have a pair of (albeit uncomfortable) steelies that will do for another couple of years.

Treat yourself to decent footwear. There is nothing worse than being on your feet for several days in bad shoes.

People don't quite seem to be getting quite the right end of the stick at the moment: yes, I'd quite like to work in the industry, but at the moment, I'm working events which are 10/14/17 hours long once to 3 times per week around lectures, so I'm not wearing steelies as much as other people on the forum. Furthermore, the work isn't particularly heavy compared to the actual industry. I will probably invest in some really good steelies when my current ones have given up (which they are likely to do soon- the sole is coming away from the upper. I've only had them since about November!)

Archived