Tools

Absolutely, cant agree more.

I am a strong believer in the use of safety footwear in almost any employment, not just theatre.

I do not posses ANY non safety footwear, when not at work I wear relatively smart polished safety shoes, and for rough work older and less smart, but still serviceable ones.

The risks of foot injury in the work place are well known, but even outside work the use of safety footwear is often sensible.

A horse once trod on my foot, my foot was run over by a motorcycle, and I dropped a heavy battery. All these occured outside work, but I was glad to be properly shod.

As regards the choice of footwear, it should be remembered that the choice is continually altering, and therefore that which you prefer may not be available in the future. If you find affordable, comfortable and durable safety shoes or boots it would be advisable to purchase at least one extra pair, and possibly several. (only if you are over18 to 20, I think that the feet still grow a bit even when the rest of the body is fully grown)

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I feel that it is probably worth me buying a god pair of steelies. A quick google shows loads, but I have no idea which are good!

Does anybody have any recommendations for a steel toe-capped shoe (the trainer style as opposed to the boot style, if possible) that is suitable for theatre stuff (ie no high-vis strips!) and available in size 13-14? The cheaper the better if I want to try to persuade mum to buy them http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif

Thanks,

Charlie

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Charlie:

http://www.dickiesstore.co.uk/dickies-workwear/boots-and-footwear/dickies-safety-trainers/

Seems to be what many of the Local Crew I have been working with lately are wearing. If those guys like 'em, then I'm pretty sure everyone else will too. Bearing in mind that Local Crew are generally in them for a long, long time per day.

Cheers

Smiffy

Charlie:

http://www.dickiesst...afety-trainers/

Seems to be what many of the Local Crew I have been working with lately are wearing. If those guys like 'em, then I'm pretty sure everyone else will too. Bearing in mind that Local Crew are generally in them for a long, long time per day.

Cheers

Smiffy

Great, thanks! They're much cheaper than I was expecting them to be!

Any other opinions/recommendations? Only 1 pair there was black and in the right size - any other well known or popular makes from anyone?

Thanks,

Charlie

I've had some Groundwork boots (basically not a brand at all as far as I can tell) that a few of the cheap chains sold. They work, but I'm not sure I could really recommend them.

I'm looking to replace my current pair, they're starting to fall apart :(

Personally I prefer the dewalt trainers, I can get a good year's use out of a pair wheras I've never had another brand last more than 6 months. But I work on building sites during the week so they have to stand up to a lot.

I always get ones with steel plates in the soles, otherwise standing on a bit of wood with nails sticking through it can kind of ruin your day. <_<

It was suggested a little while back on here that safety BOOTs are better, because they protect your ankle as well as the rest of your foot?

Otherwise, any idea how long it takes Flint's to deliver? (Quite a small order- just a quad spanner and a belt clip for it, ordered Saturday)

Also, to go back to Kerry's Post about 3 pages back, when I decide to buy a hard hat (which as stated before, I'm not yet), should I go for a standard one or a climbing style one (Flints seem to sell a climbing style one for ground use, would that be any good?).

You can just wear a normal hard hat, as long as it conforms to the appropriate EN regs. The major difference between a hard hat and a climbing helmet is the loss of a peak and the gain of a chin strap. Oh and the addition of several pounds. I have a Vertex Vent which goes everywhere with me.

It was suggested a little while back on here that safety BOOTs are better, because they protect your ankle as well as the rest of your foot?

I will confess to be the reason Sheffield Students Union brought in steelies, more specifically, my broken toe was the reason hehe.

Tools you need

Big AJ Spanner,

little spanner (you always need 2)

pliers,

cable ties,

sparky tape,

If you are a technician and not just general crew, your screwdrivers/multitool, wire strippers, multimeter, bag of assorted fuses, and even a soldering iron are always handy.

Well, I found an octagon sized AJ a couple of months ago (no one claimed it when I asked around), which is big enough to adjust sico. I have an AJ and quad spanner. Pliers, screwdrivers, wire strippers, etc on my Leatherman. Pete provides us with sparky, and there's always cable ties in the ents store. Might invest in small, cheap electronics tool kit for working...

I've often wondered how to pronounce that.

Either way it's not exactly a great name though is it http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif

Carry or wear (nearly) all the time:

Wera Kraftform Kompact 20 - Lovely driver with rapidapter and it looks cool when you pop the spring loaded shaft out

Leatherman Wave - Bought this one 5 years ago from US fleabay for £30 (new and genuine)

Fenix PD30 - rugged, compact and briiight on full power, also have the lantern diffuser

Quad Spanner

20mm AJ

Sharpie

Clutch pencil

Mechanix Gloves - they have little lights in the knuckles which are very useful

Dickies Kodiac Rogue - Very comfy and light as the caps are not metal

Laser pointer - "Please stand on the red dot..."

Setwear Utility Pouch

Archived