Tools

Assuming you really do want to be local crew, then cash is better spent on really comfortable steelies, working gloves, working trousers and other personal and safety gear than Leathermen or almost any tools.

Yes because then crew wouldn't be able to put truss together without walking around looking for communal / touring tools, do up clamps when hanging lights, do almost anything on a steel build & just generally be a complete waste of time! All our crew have basic hand tools & would have thought that it would be the same with other crewing companies.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's collected it all over the last few years...... and only ever used a few spanners....

Somebody needs a girlfriend!

There again, one of the vehicle mechanics at work won't use "Snap Off" and will only use Teng Tools. I guess he's had experience of the European variety of Snap On!

It does beg the question why he's selling it all though...

Clue is possibly in description , aircraft fitters change tools regularly to stop bits flaking off inside an engine, near new is probably better description.

Personally think SnapOn are ludicrously over rated.

I think this explains it:

Q: Hi there, I have a couple of questions for you, I do hope you don't mind. #1 why would you buy all these tools, use only some and then just sell them on? <snip> Dave, 31-May-11

A: Hi Dave ,I am not a mechanic just a carpenter,but I do like good quality tools, I had the chance to purchase a workshop as a job lot with all the tools ,I did not want them all just the milling machines ,I now need the space for a new machine ,I dont use the tools but nice to look at ,I have a set of snap on tools for myself so these have to go, you have to be realistic you just cant keep everything <snip>. All the best Nick

Seeing that my kit is sat in front of me, I may as well list it.

As a rigger / stage builder, aside from my rope kit, I carry:

• 1x big claw hammer

• 1x truss hammer (wood one end, copper the other)

• 17/19, 21/23 podgers.

• Scaff Level

• Chalkline

• Philips & Flathead Ratchet Screwdrivers

• Standard and Ratchet AJs.

• 2x Victorinox Swiss Tools... one clipped to me the other to my harness.

• Steel toe trainers

• Petzl Vertex Helmet

• Protective Gloves (dirty riggers now but won't buy again, a little weak on the stitching)

• Hi Vis jacket - one full length, one cut off at the middle reflective strip, for wearing in my harness

And that, really is about it.

PS: Just because you're a lampie at university it doesn't mean you have to be local crew and nothing else when you leave.

Kit which lives in my bag.

Pair of 'framer' gloves with thumb, index and middle fingerless.

A quad

2 podgers, 1 is a 4way (highly recommended) and one long tail.

An AJ

Mole grips

King Dick screwdriver

Petzl Caritool - like a caribinar but better!

A rapitest probe

Maglite

My leatherman is always on my belt.

For everything else theres my toolbox

Have to agree with Dave about the Dirty Rigger gloves. Having said that, a pair has lasted me 4 months, the holes are just a minor inconvenience.

Archived