complaining neighbours... yep that one

keepitlampy

Thinking about it - should this not have been in the legally required home owner's pack. My wife works at a building society, and says that all sorts of things get included - lorrys going to nearby shopping centres etc. In my own survey on this property, there was a warning when I bought it saying there is a fire station next door (difficult to miss big red things!) so I took that as meaning moaning about them driving off in the middle of the night was pointless.

If the venue can prove they were aware of the noise before they exchanged contracts, then would this not be a case for a legal remedy?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If the venue can prove they were aware of the noise before they exchanged contracts, then would this not be a case for a legal remedy?

If the previous owners had been in dispute with the club then they have a legal obligation to declare this in the seller's information to the new purchasers. The new owners could sue the previous owner if this is the case.

A similar scenario happened when I worked at a venue in the Soho district in London. Somebody who lived in a block backing onto the club would complain on practically a nightly basis (especially in the summer when she wanted her windows open). Westminster Council did an investigation and took extensive measurements and surmised that the noise of passing traffic and general street hubbub was louder than levels coming from the club. The Council were very fair and explained to the woman that this was part of the "living in central London experience" and that they were happy that the club had undertaken as much noise control as possible which included building a seperate deep foundation extra inner party wall to try and isolate the worst of any vibration and noise.

In the end we would warn her if any rather loud bands came in and offer her tickets to a West End show! ......most memorable was the decibel-crunching Manowar who set the phone ringing with just backline and the PA and monitors off! For that particular night I wore earplugs and industrial ear-defenders!

I would look into accoustic treatment - The place I am living in at the moment shares an adjoining wall with a nightclub. I don't hear a peep, because they treated their walls and my doors and windows are double glazed. In fact the biggest complaint I have is that the line for access runs in front of the appartment access door, which means people throw rubbish in the alcove in front of the door, and I have to fight through a crowd when I am coming in late... I have no real issues with noise though.

Before I moved in the first thing I did was talk to the owner of the club next door, had a look at it and chatted about times and noise levels. The agent alowed me to visit the appartment during a Saturday night to observe, and I signed on the line the next morning.

The Council were very fair and explained to the woman that this was part of the "living in central London experience" and that they were happy that the club had undertaken as much noise control as possible ...

Well done Westminster council! If only all councils took that approach. Up here in Edinburgh, they take the attitude that if a complaint is made then the source of noise is the problem. Their preferred method of measurement and assessment is to use their ears and if they can hear the particular sound in questions then it is too loud.

If you want a quiet life then go live in the country - not in the middle of a city!

If you want a quiet life then go live in the country - not in the middle of a city!

The people who move into the Grassmarket and then complain about noise do take the biscuit, for those not familiar with Edinburgh the Grassmarket is home to several pubs over 300 years old and in past times the scene of public hangings.

Some residents now complain there are now too many licenced premises in the area.....

does anyone have any advice re:

music venue does its thing for long time

person moves in next door

complains about noise levels everynight

venue technical manager on verge of nervouse breakdown due to 102dba limit and general manager thinking the best way to address the issue is to bother foh engineers instructing them to turn down certain frequencys (witch incidently a touring engineers nearly gave him a shoeing for!)

is it me or is the law balanced towards the one neighbour instead of the thousands of customers?

kind words of encouragement greatly appreciated

We had the same problem with a neighbour who moved in next door complained all the time. We stopped the complained after (I am sorry I don't have the details to hand but) a neighbour took a music venue to court, this summer where they move in next door to a music venue that was already there and the judge ruled the against the neighbour saying that the neighbour knew where they where moving too. We used this and the complaints have stopped.

Hope this helps I will find the details if you want?

There was an article in the news recently about a club (archery I think) which was well established and had been at the same place for years, however a nearby barm was recently converted in to a house, and got the club closed down due to the noise disturbing them - the council admitted that they should never have given planning permission for the house in the first place, however they were the same people who then closed the club.

Is similar to a number of schools that have had to close their swimming pools because neightbours have complained about the noise of the kids!

There was an article in the news recently about a club (archery I think) which was well established and had been at the same place for years, however a nearby barm was recently converted in to a house, and got the club closed down due to the noise disturbing them - the council admitted that they should never have given planning permission for the house in the first place, however they were the same people who then closed the club.

It was a squash club, just down the road from us here...

Up here in Edinburgh, they take the attitude that if a complaint is made then the source of noise is the problem. Their preferred method of measurement and assessment is to use their ears and if they can hear the particular sound in questions then it is too loud.

There has been a history of Scotland using inaudibility as the threshold for nuisance. It is not an approach that is accepted by noise professionals in England.

Simon

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

Yes but then they would most likely complain about the cows moo-ing through the night & the noise of combines in the summer!

Yup... An EHO I studied with got called out to a complainant who'd moved in next to a small holding. He complained that the noise of the geese next door was intolerable. When the EHO went next door to investigate, the woman disappeared into t eh yard, came back with a goose under one one, and then twisted its neck until the poor bird slumped lifeless in her arms.

"There!" she said defiantly... "Is that quiet enough for you?!".

If you want to follow another celebrated case, Charley the cokerel's story is here...

Yes but then they would most likely complain about the cows moo-ing through the night & the noise of combines in the summer!

seriously...them combines are bloomin loud and go on all night!

nice view though!

• 2 weeks later...

Two brief stories, probably from complete opposite ends of the spectrum:

A night club I used to frequent years ago, situated pretty much in a town centre, but surrounded by residential housing began receiving complaints from the house next door. £££'s were spent on sound proofing fire exits etc to no avail. Eventually the complainant put the house up for sale and moved out, it stayed on sale for ages until a Taxi driver bought it :-) I guess he figured he would be up all night driving the punters home anyway...

Earlier this year we were on a job in Derby (somewhere) and we were essentially in a field, surrounded by fields and there was one house within about 5 miles... Guess who complained about the noise levels...

We walked to the bottom of the field so we were essentially accross the road from the complainants house, bout 30 feet away from their front door, switched on our dB meter and got a reading of around 45dB. The traffic passing on the road registered around 65-70dB! It became obvious very quickly that they were complaining about the noise levels as such, rather the fact that for 360 odd days a year all they hear is cars driving past and maybe a sheep, and the one weekend we were there they could 'hear' music.

EHO and Police didn't know what to do, in the end we ran the PA down to 105dB at desk position at the Police's request, and then just made sure we had the kettle on for the numerous subsequent visits we had with a good supply of biscuits.

(Edit for abismal spelling)

Just caught the tail end of inside out (west midlands) that was also discussing city center noise and new residents, should be on iplayer. My personal opinion is the council win both ways,first from the "fees" the new development pays,and then again when it fines the venue.

Archived