Eurovision song contest 2008

Joe Bleasdale

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2 stabs in the dark as to what you are on about

1. It looks like she is surrounded by perspex - forming the strange lighting around her.

2. Behind her is what I believe is Barco miTrix - forming the what would look like a light show on a none existent screen.

I've heard comments from others about the odd monochrome effect she had when she first started. Seems as though the followspot had some colour filter on it and then when the chorus starts, the beam becomes alot warmer.

More lasers needed though

Also, that clip must be from the semi finals because the set is TOTALLY different from the actual final.

I think it's because Britain and a few other countries still consider the Eurovision to be light entertainment, some fun, nothing extremely serious. Therefore, we can have the likes of Terry Wogan putting the comical edge on the event with his snide remarks and jokes about the whole thing. The problem now is that alot of countries who take part are actually taking it seriously and consider the Eurovision to be a way to achieve 'soft power' in Europe.

yes the last few comments have been spot on. Its all just a bit tounge in cheeek now. Even "our Tel" is or was talking about hanging up his ear phones and mic now. I think when this country did take it seriously and we had our hey day on the event with Bucks Fizz, after that it was a graduall declining slope to the bitter end.

But even though the production values are dreary - at least until they calm down on the LEDS and movers - the show IS entertaining to a point. After all, eurovision does have a massive Gay following , and deep deep down , I just think its something we love to hate. However though , its had its day as far as the UK is concerned and we should respectively , if theres any left - just bow out. Any die-hard fans can watch it on Sky!!

"Love Shine a Light"

I always assumed that it was a video effect rather than a lighting effect that achieved the monochrome effect, that worked based on the colour of her skin and clothes. My experience with stage lighting is very limited, but I wouldn't have thought it possible for just a colour filter to turn her greyscale. Is it?

It's almost certainly a downstream key effect in the video mixer. Since the set is mostly blue, I would think the follow spot is gelled to a very deep yellow colour so that a good key signal can be extracted and that key is used in the mixer to reduce the chrominance signal in the appropriate area and give a monochrome output.

Alright - now that's pretty nifty!

Due to the LC Series’ transparent nature, Per was able to locate MAC luminaires behind the panels, allowing the fixtures to shine through when the panels were not lit or discreetly disappear when they were.

You can see the effect here:

http://martin.com/casestory/showcase/1865.jpg

I guess it might be old news to some of you - but that's just about the only bit of the set I admire now!

CC

Archived