Eurovision song contest 2008

Joe Bleasdale

It's almost certainly a downstream key effect in the video mixer. Since the set is mostly blue, I would think the follow spot is gelled to a very deep yellow colour so that a good key signal can be extracted and that key is used in the mixer to reduce the chrominance signal in the appropriate area and give a monochrome output.

Yup, seems pretty obvious that the mono effect is produced afterwards, and not on the actual stage. And this actual clip is most likely taken from a local semi final, before the real contest.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone else think that last years was so much better with regard to the technical side? The set was interesting, they didnt over-do with video wall, and the movers were used to their full extent! Or is it just me that thinks that...

Yup, seems pretty obvious that the mono effect is produced afterwards, and not on the actual stage. And this actual clip is most likely taken from a local semi final, before the real contest.

Which would seem to be a very tricky way of doing it.

Of course it's been a while since the fateful night and memory only serves vaugely, but the problem I see is this.

All vocals have to be live. So, to use a clip from a previous show, you'd have to sync the video perfectly with the artist singing live and then for the switch to the colour (and live) output.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a time delay on the transmission output, could this time be used to apply the effect?

Archived