Eurovision song contest 2008

Joe Bleasdale

Okay we do this every time, so I thought I might as well be the one to start it this year!

I bet most of us saw at least some of Eurovision last night, even if it was just highlights on the news. Does anyone know what sort of gear they were using? There were "millions" of moving lights - did they use any generics at all? What movers were they? What desk... was it even just one desk? And the background graphics - they were really there weren't they? Or just CGI for TV?

Any other comments?

Ben.

Moderation: Both topics merged

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks quite an impressive rig there!

Shame we didn't have the eurovisiondiary that Ola Melzig has done in a past few years though to go with it.

The 'sperm' trusses definately look good. Moves away from the somewhat linear restrictions one normally has.

So, we all sat down to watch this years epic and to enjoy the production elements of the show.

Oh well

Down the old familiar road again. Big budget , so lets just bring in shed loads of video wall - oh and if thats not enough we'll make the floor video as well.

Lighting?, Well, theres no set to light, so lets just make all the masses of movers on the wavey truss wriggle around a lot and strobe!. That'll be good.

Please please lets go back to the drawing board and start to design interesting production sets again to light. Yes keep the LED , but why not incorporate sections into a set.

All these big budget shows are just becoming a lazy creative job -

Not impressed. Maybe it sounded good though!!

Beacuse Martin had to do no deal to get their fixtures and LC-Panels to that project.

PROCON as supplier has a huge stock of Martin fixtures (at moment they selling 360 used Mac 600...) so they just used a part of the equipment they have in their inventory. It's not always necessary to donate your fixtures to get onto a project ;-)

On the other hand PROCON has a big amount of MA lighting desks. So why to use something different. Sometimes the Eurovision diary gave me the impression that it was part of the deal to do marketing for all the equipment arrangements. So it's nice to see that this time a company just used what they have in their stock and what fits the projects instead of using the equipment they get the best deal for...

PROCON ist probably the biggest rental company in Europe and is although worldwide among the biggest companies. Nowadays it's split up into a rental section and an event engineering part. Beside they have additional business units like Cinegate.

For some years now PROCON is the main supplier for all the Olympic games shows, so they have really lots of experience in doing the real big shows.

So, we all sat down to watch this years epic and to enjoy the production elements of the show.

Oh well

Down the old familiar road again. Big budget , so lets just bring in shed loads of video wall - oh and if thats not enough we'll make the floor video as well.

Lighting?, Well, theres no set to light, so lets just make all the masses of movers on the wavey truss wriggle around a lot and strobe!. That'll be good.

Please please lets go back to the drawing board and start to design interesting production sets again to light. Yes keep the LED , but why not incorporate sections into a set.

All these big budget shows are just becoming a lazy creative job -

Not impressed. Maybe it sounded good though!!

Yeah, I kind of agree with you.

From the get-in pictures, you see a mass of fixtures and video wall and lots of interesting rig features. But on the night it's completely different.

I thought the lighting was a little dissapointing for most of the show. This is probably because we are looking at the camera angles given to us where most of the lighting rig is above the stage or out of the camera altogether! I guess you just had to be there to see it in its full glory.

From the camera's point of view, it just seemed a mass of video wall with blinders or repetitive strobing flashing through every 5 minutes. Most of the mover action was up in the 'sperm' truss which we as a viewer didn't see much but when we did, it looked pretty average for the amount of fixtures they had. Nice array of pyros mind you - they went pyro mania this year!

One thing they should note for next year... more lasers needed! The 3 they used just looked odd.

Archived