A problem with my service?

PYROmaster

Hi guys,

I want your opinion on this, it is a entry I got off a contact form on my website.

Now I am not sure what to think of it, whether someone was very bored or someone actually has concerns.

Problem is the email that was entered onto the form seems to be invalid (I get a Postmaster Notification Failure).

So I can't ask whoever what exactly they can see... Which does not help me..

Now before I post the message can people only give constructive critisim so as to help me improve, and yes I am only 17 so don't bite my head off, I've already had that :)

I\'ve been over looking your lighting \"buisness\" and have incurred a few worrying errors at my own discrepencies.

Your health and safety aspect I find literally appauling and cannot comprehend how many errors you could sued for.

I hope your company goes down the shitter.

you turd

The website is: http://www.pyromasterstudios.co.uk

Please have a look and tell me any problems...

Cheers guys!!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Somebody you know being a eejit? Certainly nothing I'd worry about. If I was to complain about a website or company, I'd start with using language somebody older than a 12 year old would use.

Some hopefully constructive points.

You may want to look at some of the phrasing that you use in order to give a more professional impression. I doubt that BA would say on their web site that future plans include "saving up to buy some planes". It sounds a bit pocket money-ish.

Also listing your stock of equipment may be counterproductive. I'm sure it represents a significant investment for a small startup company but it is fairly limited compared to what many events will be looking for. If prospective customers don't think you'll have enough stock to meet their requirements they'll go elsewhere. You could always hire in extra stuff but they may assume that what you list is all they can have.

Other than that looks fine to me.

Couple of other hopefully constructive points, mostly on my thoughts over the design, so feel free to take on board or disregard as you wish :)

Personally I'd take non working links off until they're working properly - i.e. the previous events link, then put it back on when you've got something to put up there. IMO things like that give the appearance of incompleteness which isn't really what you want. On a similar line, on the current development projects I'd change the tense to something other than the future, it implies something's not finished. Personally I think I might even do away with that first sentence entirely. The same sort of thing goes with the pyros. I'd probably do away with that link and put that you're looking at obtaining a license on the current projects page.

It may seem really picky but there's a couple of phrasing / grammar points that could be better, karl mentioned one above, couple of others I've noticed have been no full stop on the first sentence of the current development projects page, and another thing is, a bit like this sentence, long sentences really need breaking up, such as on the special occasions and outdoor pages. I'd break those up into 2/3 sentences.

I like the look of the logo, but IMO it almost looks a bit out of place with the colour scheme of the site? I'd also personally do away with the clock, it doesn't really serve that much use and to be honest just looks like it's there for the sake of it. I think I'd also do away with the top border completely, keep the logo in the top left corner but I wouldn't keep the company name and headline at the top all the time, it just takes up too much space and isn't really necessary. On my laptop it takes up about a third of the total page height! I'd also put a "home" link above general, clicking on the picture does it know but it's not immediately obvious.

I don't want to sound negative, but those would be my suggestions. ;) One thing especially on the plus side, I like the sliding menus very much, very web 2.0 :)

OK - the answer to the question is the same as the rest of the replies here - bin it.

However, a couple of points from me.

Nice looking web site - as sites for youth businesses go it looks quite well laid out.

However, you are maybe making the same mistake that many do (and sorry, but this is a teen thing) and that's assuming that just a web site and a small stock of kit maketh a business.

Don't get me wrong - you seem at face value to be one of the more organised of the youngsters who're trying to make a go out of their hobby. But what you need to be aware of is the fact that to actually make it a success you need to ensure you have several things.

Insurance - do you have insurance for your equipment and public liability insurance for when you or others use it?

Are you registered as a business?

Are you registered with HM customs?

Do you keep a database of customers? Is that database registered under the data protection act?

These questions and many more are essential.

I believe our BR wiki has a section on starting up a business - may well be worth a read. :)

Oh - and one final chuckle... At your expense, in a way, but meant in good humour.

Your company title is PYROmaster, yet as you rightly say on another page, you're not yet licensed (and cannot use pyro officially til you're 18) and cannot offer pyro...

Just made me smile, is all.

I also would not consider any company that only had Email, skype and mobile as contact points,

It gives the impression of a dodgy firm if they are not prepared to put the address !!

A nice website.

Two Points that made me squirm when I saw them.

1 FRAMES. I hate them they ate the bane of the web and deserve to be banned.

2 The Menu although it is very nice and web 2.0 isn't very back-wards compatible.

And also a couple of notes

Disabling text highlighting only works on IE with that script for a start.

It only works for the frame holders and not the actual content.

The Transitions between pages are very Power-Point Esq and IMO look tacky.

This site reminds me of my first attempt at a website...

That was two years ago.

My current site it at http://tm-web.dyndns.org/

It is all written in PHP and uses server side includes to allow the uniformity across it.

Fully back-wards Compatible

CSS, XHTML and WAI-AA Compliant.

Josh

Bear in mind that if you are (ore appear to be) a business, then you MUST display your trading address on the web site - eBay have required all their business members to make their details available - nobody who is registered as a business with eBay has anonymity at all any more - the rules that make them do it, also apply to you.

Archived