A problem with my service?

PYROmaster

There's no easy way of learning PHP - it's really just like anything else, you've gotta sit down and work at it.

PHP is very similar to C which is always handy :unsure:

I've done a site completely in PHP/SQL ( httP://www.dalzielrugby.com ) though its not business related, it wouldn't be hard to make it such. I see what some people are saying about the fact that it should be easy to update, but I've created an admin panel to allow other members of the club put up news articles without having to worry about the underlying code!

also, I'll vouch for eukhost. I'm with them, $58.99 (which might be an error, but I'm not caring!) for 5Gb space and 50Gb bandwidth. Also, they sent me a free t-shirt the other day! woo woo!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was wondering what host TBR was on, as it did seem to have had it's fair share of down time over the last year.

Just out of intrest, what package are you on?

Josh

I wouldn't say we have had that much downtime, only the one major time that I know of! A few times people have reported the site running slowly, however this seems to have been user specific so I have assumed it to be a DNS or routing issue.

We have a root server account, which is used by TBR and a few other people (including neet a theatre company or two and a very good lighting designer!

I know BT had a few 'routing issues' a while back that affected the Blue Room and many other sites for a lot of BT customers. In defence of 1and1 their network and servers do seem to be some of the most reliable around, more realiable than eukhost to be honest. In my experiance it's just their admin and customer services that let them down.

While we're discussing hosting providers, I use HostGator and I've always found them to be fantastic. There almost always appears to be someone on the live chat, tickets and emails are responded to very quickly, and I had SSL access enabled within 5 minutes of emailing them to ask for it. Oh, and they are stupidly cheap too. Couldn't be more impressed.

There's no easy way of learning PHP - it's really just like anything else, you've gotta sit down and work at it.

PHP is very similar to C which is always handy ;)

Took me a whole afternoon after I got annoyed with ASP for the purposes of knocking tracelighting.co.uk together. Does help however that I'm very familiar with a)C \ C# (which as niall says is very similar) b) Coding stuff to that links to databases, since I used to do b) for a living and now do a).

Also I've made a few ASP based sites, which whilst syntax wise is completely different isn't so different in concept.

I actually find the CSS \ browser compatibility thing harder than anything else - what works in one browser doesn't always others!

but I've created an admin panel to allow other members of the club put up news articles without having to worry about the underlying code!

Likewise (expect really it's to allow me to do it with minimal effort).

Archived