From Dimmer Bar to Rack Unit…

adamburgess

Hello!

Our band have 4x Stairville Dimmer Bars (each with 4x Par56s).

To save set up time and get rid of a load of long mic leads (er, I mean DMX leads!) I had the mad thought of taking out the electronics and putting them in some sort of rack enclosure terminating in Bulgins or the newer ELVs?

I've not seen the inside of one of these yet - they're stuck in the van.

Anyway, daft idea or not?

Thanks, Adam

????

So for lots of work and loss of any waranty and the cost of the cases you are going to swap a stiff bulgin lead for th DMX line.

For simplicity and speed swap the power cable on the bars for some of this http://www.terralec.co.uk/power_cable/powe...le/18175_p.html

It's a DMX line and a 1.5mm mains lead in one sheath and then use the DMX splitter and a 4 way extension lead send power and DMX out in the same sheath.

You can buy these leads made up from CPC the three pin are audio the five pin are DMX.

Errm, 16 off PAR 56 @ 300W each is 4.8kW. At 240VAC that's 20A. I'm assuming you are playing in pubs & clubs, so you are still going to need to run two 13A plugs from separate supplies to the cased kit. Doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

On another tack, The lights and bar together with leads and plugs etc mean the show can expand or contract to suit the room, one stand 4 lights,2 = 8 etc. Bit more lugging if it's all in seperate places or all the lights are fed by one rack.

Also if your not using them all the time you can rent them out. Not many people would want to rent something that isn't standard.

Must agree

You will strip the guts out start to custom fit

then regret it, a lot of work for little outcome

The DMX bars are useful

The Power and DMX combi with splitter is

a good idea from jive master

We have all used Bulgins (who hasnt)

But I have always hated them and always will

a proper left over from the 70's

even after the regs change version im suprised they still get

made

Cliveybaby