Buying in bulk at good money

Jamtastic3

Hey all,

I go through loads of cable ties every week and was wondering where the best places are to buy a mass bulk of them. Other things I need are black/white gaffer, LX tape and also packs of 250W 233 and 259 halogen bulbs (used in Datamoons and Solar 250's) because buying these individually is costing me a bomb and looking on google there's not many places I know that sell good stuff for good prices. Any sites would be great.

It all depends on what you define as bulk. One supliers large order will be too small for another. Work out what you need, if you can store it and if you can use it quick enough (e.g. Tape) and call the usual suspects. The more you buy the better the price.

Try CPC/Farnell, RS and Rapid Electronics.

These all do bulk orders, and the minimum order is usually between 1 and 5 units so they will do the numbers you require.

(Except cable ties which come in packs of 100)

I tend to get AA Procells from CPC/Farnell in a pack of 500.

Cables ties dont normally cost the earth. What is the application for cable ties in this instance?

I have to admit...

the last lot of gaffa and lx tape I bought was off the local market ;) the lx is good the gaffa isn't the best but it dont leave awful sticky marks and it sticks. thats the important thing. I have black white and .. brown..

IIRC I paid £1 a roll for gaffa and it worked out at about £27 for 160 rolls of black lx tape.

I recently bought a pakc of 10 rolls of red, yelow, blue, green, grn/yel, white, grey, and brown for marking up cables and stuff. they worked out at about 30p per roll.

Cables ties I've always gone to CPC, but I dont get through that many so I dont need such a bulk purchase.

I get nobbys nuts from a local warehouse, at £1 for 20 packets.

I also get great discounts on polo's, murray mints, wine gums, and pear drops. I no longer wash tea towels as I can get 12 for £1 at the same place.

I might have just got a bit carried away there......

rob

Also, bulk - I mean with lamps for example, packs of 10 or 20, a few packs of tape and a big bag of say 1000 cable ties.

Sadly the quantities you mention, whilst probably costing you what feels like a lot of money, are not exactly bulk. Bulk is normally taken to mean at least a complete box of whatever it is you are buying. So for Gaffer it's going to be 18 rolls or thereabouts, Par 64s will be 6, most other lamps will be 12 or 24 of the same type, cable ties 5,000 etc.

For quantities less than these the supplier is going to have to split the box and so will charge more. Selling a complete box is easier and so the price drops. If you are buying quantities like the above you should be able to get better prices, just haggle.

I also find that if you want good prices for 'bulk', you buy in box loads, and you also buy EVERYTHING you need at the one place. You oftimes get a better 'bulk' price if you buy "2 boxes of that, 3 boxes of them, 1 box of them and 2 boxes of them" than if you source the cheapest cable ties from here, cheapest gaffer from there etc. And if you are having it freighted, it is often cheaper too.

If you are going out and buying 10 bubbles every fortnight for example, see if you can buy 100 bubbles direct from the manufacturer and store them. If you go through 1000 ties a month, buy 12000 and store them. They dont really have expiry dates... Although bungees are much better - and fairly easy to make too.

The only trouble with lx tape such as that is the fact its about a foot and a half long ;)

the stuff I got was 50metre. so sometimes whilst its cheaper in poundland you may be better off going somewhere else.

if you are buying just a few rolls of gaffa that price isn't too bad. no doubt you can get a discount on that if you were to say buy 100 rolls.

Rob

I tend to get AA Procells from CPC/Farnell in a pack of 500.
I understand that the battery market is VERY cut-throat at the moment. My previous supplier (well known theatre hire/sales chain) did me a very good deal, BUT I had a call from a guy I used about 3 years back, and he basically GUARANTEED to beat any quote I got from elsewhere, based on my sourcing 9v batts (and now AA's) in boxes of 400+.

they were GBS Batteries.

The guy I deal with now is David Myers - why not drop him a mail GBSBATTERIES@aol.com.

Tony

Archived